Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Official ZRT Weapon PIC Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My M&P 9 Shield
[Image: rade6ubu.jpg]

Really itching to pick up an AR!
I like Kahr pistols ever since I bought the wife one a decade ago. It might have a long trigger, but it was light. The pistol was also very accurate for it being so small.

The other guys in her department made fun of it all the time calling it her "pop gun" because of the physical size of the pistol. The K9 is actually pretty small, I have no problems carrying it concealed. My wife has since moved on to an M&P in 9mm, the Julie Goloski model.

[attachment=1450]

I like my AR pistol, too. This is the .300 Blk upper on it that I've been having problems with. The barrel is just too short and replaced it with a 10.5" barrel. Now it runs well supersonic.

[attachment=1451]
(05-16-2014, 04:07 PM)gunbunny Wrote: [ -> ]I like my AR pistol, too. This is the .300 Blk upper on it that I've been having problems with. The barrel is just too short and replaced it with a 10.5" barrel. Now it runs well supersonic.

I'm finally coming around to the idea of owning an AR pistol; I'm surprised your 300 Blackout had trouble running in so short a barrel, though. One of the distinct advantages OF that caliber, is its ability to run in short barrel applications reliably.

That said, I'm also thinking of going with a piston upper on my pistol design, as the short barrel is where the piston really shines in an AR application.
The AR pistol is a good way to conceal a rifle size caliber. Most of the guns can be carried in a tennis racket case. I built mine in 5.56 a couple years ago and have even qualled and carried it at work.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Quote:I'm finally coming around to the idea of owning an AR pistol; I'm surprised your 300 Blackout had trouble running in so short a barrel, though. One of the distinct advantages OF that caliber, is its ability to run in short barrel applications reliably

I guess the 7 1/2" barrel was just a hair too short to run even supersonic 100% of the time. With the suppressor attached it was reliable, but the weight and length of the Gemtech makes it a bit unwieldy as a pistol.

I still have the barrel and may build another upper for it to run subsonics, but the port is opened up quite a bit and I ran an adjustable gas block. Not really the optimal system.

My other problem was using .312 diameter bullets pulled from 7.62x39 rounds. I resized them to .309 and they just won't work with anything. Maybe if I had a single shot or bolt action in .300 Blk they would work, but not in any semi that I have.

It seems that the oglive is too blunt; the bullet jams into the side of the chamber and seizes in place just before the bolt is in full battery. When you pull the charging handle back, the casing pulls out, dumps powder everywhere, and leaves the bullet jammed in there. Then I have to go home and tap it out (very gently) with a cleaning rod.

This has happened enough times to make me not want to use those darn bullets anymore. I originally bought them to use in the 100yd NRA service rifle matches- I was shooting a really nice Savage Enfield No4 MkI* and was reloading 174gr bullets.

A few friends of mine told me that I didn't need full power rifle cartridges during the matches, and to try some downloaded and lighter weight bullets. I thought they were the ticket, so I loaded up a few. They fired nicely when I single loaded them for the slow-fire portion of the match (all I had practiced for at that time with those rounds) but when it came to feeding through a magazine, they nose-dived into the handguard underneath the receiver. Hard.

I was shooting Nosler 125gr spitzer bullets, but I can't find them anywhere. So, I put the 5.56 upper back on the pistol and I will wait until I can get some better bullets.
Here are a few ours....

[attachment=1452]
My current AR based guns. All 5.56

[Image: ARs_zpsec7cf482.jpg]

100 yard group with 20" gun. Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ range ammo. Scope is a cheap TASCO 3-9x40mm. The rifle is a refurbed 20 sumthin year old Bushmaster. Original barrel and BCG.
[Image: 100yards_zps41389aac.jpg]

What the 20" used to look like. Also pictured earlier in this thread.

[Image: IMG_20130511_144318_zpsa86cfa12-1.jpg]
(05-26-2014, 11:42 AM)PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR Wrote: [ -> ]My current AR based guns. All 5.56

OK - I'm looking to build a pistol these days - give us the scoop on yours! Cool
(05-27-2014, 08:53 AM)The War Wagon Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2014, 11:42 AM)PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR Wrote: [ -> ]My current AR based guns. All 5.56

OK - I'm looking to build a pistol these days - give us the scoop on yours! Cool

I pieced it together from bare receivers on up. 7" barrel, YHM Carbine length free float quad rail, low profile gas block, ACE pistol tube, generic LPK, Cheap fixed sights. It's dead on out to 75 yards. It shoots a little high and left at 100 yards but till has a good group. Be ready to double up on ear protection if you're going with the short barrel. I qualled with it and carried it at work while I was picking up new sights for it's middle brother. I'm in the midst f building a second pistol. It will have a barrel of at least 10". I want it dead on all the way out to 100.

The best thing about an AR Pistol is they are very concealable. You can hide one in tennis racket case.
(05-31-2014, 09:43 PM)PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR Wrote: [ -> ]The best thing about an AR Pistol is they are very concealable. You can hide one in tennis racket case.

"Vehicle carry" is my main interest - sounds GTG! Thanks! Cool