Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Bug out Bag: Links for the new BoB builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(04-30-2010, 04:18 AM)IronSight Wrote: [ -> ]If they have reason to believe you're armed the police can conduct a legal search of your vehicle, known as a "terry vehicle frisk", but such a search does NOT include the trunk of the vehicle........

I assume you're referring to NJ and not Pa, as in Pa being in possession of a firearm is no longer (technically it never was, but they were given leniency in the past for it) considered reasonable suspicion for a search (in a vehicle or not).
(04-30-2010, 05:28 PM)IronSight Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2010, 04:37 AM)nepawolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2010, 04:18 AM)IronSight Wrote: [ -> ]If they have reason to believe you're armed the police can conduct a legal search of your vehicle, known as a "terry vehicle frisk", but such a search does NOT include the trunk of the vehicle........

I assume you're referring to NJ and not Pa, as in Pa being in possession of a firearm is no longer (technically it never was, but they were given leniency in the past for it) considered reasonable suspicion for a search (in a vehicle or not).

I'm actually talking about federal 4th amendment case law, as in from the SCOTUS themselves. I haven't seen anything in PA that grants us further, and greater, protection. Article 1, section 8 of the PA constitution really doesn't go any farther than the 4th amendment in our federal constitution, and as such 4th amendment case law is, almost always, the deciding factor in "search and/or seizure" issues.

If you know of a case in PA that differs I would gladly read through it and compare it with other matters of case law.

Well, I know for a fact that it was in the 2009 MPOTEC. I read that thing 3 times.
(05-01-2010, 12:54 AM)IronSight Wrote: [ -> ]This is straight out of the manual, and highly disturbing. We're talking about two people legally parked and sleeping in a car, being pulled out of the car solely based on the site of a bulge in one of the person's clothing, then frisked and arrested. This was upheld by a Superior court.

Now, I truly believe that if a competent lawyer appealed this case to higher courts, the ruling could have been overturned. However, the system right now, even in PA, holds that if the cops think you're armed there's a good chance you're getting pulled out of your vehicle. Especially in Philly, where you need a license to carry a firearm anywhere.

Well, in the story, the bulge was on the front left and the gun was retrieved from the back right. The fact that this happened in Philly makes it a totally different issue. The cops get away with basically everything down there and superior courts usually support what they do. Yes, the person did have better odds if they had a decent lawyer. The fact of the matter is, Philly doesn't count as Pennsylvania when it comes to rights or the law.
As for for the question on "Why do you have this stuff in a bag" During a Police traffic stop and search.
You can always point to Ready.gov or ReadyPA.org. As fare as Legal stuff go's. Its a 72 Hour kit! If you are packing "Handgun" You better have your PA-LTCF "Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms"

I think it was NEPAWOLF that pointed it out, You can always use Zip-Lock bags. That is a good rule of thumb. Even when you do have a Water-Proof Bag.
Few reasons, One) Water-Proof/Or not, When you open your bag its no longer Water-Proof. Everything inside is open to the outside i.e. Water, Dirt, Loose items may fall out! When you take an item out. Its still protected. Its a good idea!
Two) Organization/Pack-ability/and Packing load.
The Zip-Lock's can Organize by size and use! Tooth paste/Tooth brush "I would use two in one for that", A Bag for Clean cloths and One for any dirty clothes!. You get the idea.
One thing to keep in mind. Pack by use. Don't put something your going to use all the time on the Bottom, and something you use just a few times on Top. Like a first Aid kit, Or Firearms. You don't want to search for them when you need them.
Pack-ability and Packing Load are almost the same.
You don't want all the weight at the bottom, or two one side. This may cause you to be unstable and fall, & on long trips. It will wear you down fast! The Zip-Lock's almost make everything the same Style/Shape for packing.
You want the Pack load to be balance: Left to Right, Front to Back. And have the bulk of the weight mid-high in a Regular pack!
If you dealing with a pack with a Hip-Strap "Back-Packing Bag". First fit the Bag empty to you. Then Pack the weight High, And Bulky Items High as well.
If the Bag is packed right and fitted right. It should be Balance, All the weight on your Hips not the shoulders "You can check this by running your two fingers under your shoulders straps. You should not feel any weight". The shoulder strap are only there for Lifting/Lowering, Then keeping the Pack from falling back! Smile

Here is a Link to some Tactical "B.O.B" Bags.
LINK:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/searc...tical+Bags
Yup, ziplocs help for weather proofing your gear and organizing. It probably was me that said it on here that you're talking about, I've said it at least 20 times on here in various threads.
This is great, I need to start working on my BOB.
I'd recommend increasing the amount of water you pack..we can live without food for a while, but not without water.
(07-30-2010, 03:41 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd recommend increasing the amount of water you pack..we can live without food for a while, but not without water.

or buy some water tabs and a filter. I always keep fire starting material and a mess kit in my bag. You can boil your water. I beleive I have a dropper and bleach in my bag as well. Those emergency water packs get heavy quick. I have two in my bag just to get me started. After that its all me.
There is a natural spring about 1.5 miles from my house. Constant flow of fresh water out the side of a hill. It can fill a gallon jug in less than a minute. I wonder if there are any PA maps of large natural springs?
Might be something to consider for travel routes.
great idea yukon
i did a quick search and found this Don:

http://www.swimmingholes.org/pa.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4