Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Food preservation & preperation - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tactics, Prepping & Survival (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Tactics-Prepping-Survival)
+--- Thread: Food preservation & preperation (/Thread-Food-preservation-preperation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 08-03-2011

(08-01-2011, 03:08 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 05:15 AM)The_Colonel Wrote: Were you planning on using them as weapons against the zed and have them remain intact and sealed?

Anyone that does normal canning (in my experience) has the proper storage room in place already with shelves that is nicely tucked out of the way, in a cool, mostly or completely underground, damp-ish place.

My gram told me she has been using the same jars for over 35 years.

I believe he was considering transportation issues. I wouldn't want to stuff jars of food in my BOB, but some cans wouldn't be an issue.

Thats right!

Most people use the Glass Mason Jars, I wasn't sure there was/were things available for Steel Canning but there is. The rest of the processes is the same as you would Canning Mason Jars.
It also came up in other forums, Someone wanted to ship them.
Shipping Glass Jars is not a problem, But can be a Hassle in Packing because their needs to be extra protection in packing to protect the Jars. Its still not 100% protected. A Steel can would protect from that, also with no light transmission through the Container. Its Nutritional content will last longer.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-03-2011

[/quote]

Thats right!

Most people use the Glass Mason Jars, I wasn't sure there was/were things available for Steel Canning but there is. The rest of the processes is the same as you would Canning Mason Jars.
Shipping Glass Jars is not a problem, But can be a Hassle in Packing because their needs to be extra protection in packing to protect the Jars. Its still not 100% protected. A Steel can would protect from that, also with no light transmission through the Container. Its Nutritional content will last longer.

[/quote]

You may want to explore some of the LDS (Mormon) sites. They do a lot of prep work and in a lot of locations they have a canning center to stock up on food. You take your product in and pay them for the cans and use of the equipment. You gotta admire their tennant of having a years worth of food stocked up.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 08-03-2011

Thats right!

[/quote]

You may want to explore some of the LDS (Mormon) sites. They do a lot of prep work and in a lot of locations they have a canning center to stock up on food. You take your product in and pay them for the cans and use of the equipment. You gotta admire their tennant of having a years worth of food stocked up.
[/quote]

WoW!
I'll have to check that out. Thanks, Smile

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-03-2011

Here's a recipe for you guys to try out.
Fresh asparagus, can't tell you the quantity cause I use homegrown and never weighed it. I'll guess around 2 lbs or so.
Get about a pound and a half of good sandwhich ham and an equal amount of sliced swiss cheese. Lay down a slice of ham, top it with a slice of switch and then a couple of stalks of asparagus. Roll it up and place in a baking dish. You can use a toothpick to hold it together if you need. Keep rolling and fill you dish. Keep them packed together kind of snug. When you have the pan full top of with a can of cream of chicken, cream of mushroom or my favorite golden mushroom soup. Smear the soup around and DO NOT add any water. Next is a layer of bread crumbs then browned bacon. We cook the bacon up crisp but for you guys that like it limp, do what you like. Bake this mess at 350 for about 45 minutes. It's a fine meal and very popular at our house.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-07-2011

Cabbage is finally ready. Time to make some Kraut.
Also will be putting up some corned beef and cabbage for the year, just like a good Mick should.

Cook up your corned beef in the pressure cooker/canner. Mine goes straight from the freezer into the canner. 15 psi for about 90 minutes will have it ender enough to fall apart. If it isn't, cook again for another 30. While this is cooking up quarter your cabbage and remove the "heart". Cut remainder into bite size chunks. Put about a cup of white vinegar into a large pot. Toss in your cabbage along with a medium onion and turn the heat on low. I add some potatoes. New young small potatoes are good with the skins on or use mature potaoes with the skins removed. Stir often to avoid schorching the bottom. When all is just about cooked, stir in the shredded corned beef. Pack firmly into quart jars and process at 10 psi for 30 minutes. Makes a great "heat and eat meal". Dinner in 10 minutes or so.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 09-05-2011

Yesterday I had a real treat. A guy gave me some mushrooms he had gathered locally. "Chicken mushrooms". also known as "hen of the woods", we steamed them up with a little chopped onion. Tasted just like a bland piece of chicken. Then tried some with a little bbq sauce. Excellent! 3rd version was with a little curry powder. For some reason this reminded me of steamed shrimp.
He soaks in water for 24 hours to loosen any dirt and drive out any bugs hiding in them and then washes them well. Freeze individually, vacpak and store in the freezer.

Anyone on the team have a working knowledge of gathering wild mushrooms?
Would make an excellent thread to start as the gathering part of survival will be just as important a skill to have as the hunting part.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 10-24-2011

Barley soup.

An old timers soup traditional served up with a chunk of hearty bread.

Start out by getting your pearled barley simmering on the stove. Follow package directions. Recipe is for one cup UNCOOKED barley.

Get 2 cups of water boiling. Add a couple of beef boullion cubes, enough to get a decent broth. Toss in about a teaspoon of parsley and a quarter teaspoon of celery salt and as much onion as you desire. I usually take an onion the size of a baseball, cut it in half, chop one of the halves and toss it into the pot. Follow this up with a pint of your canned beef and the barley. Simmer till the onions are tender and serve it up.
It's suprising filling, especially when served up with some corn bread or Irish soda bread.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 06-03-2012

First harvest from the garden today. We only eat these fresh. Anyone have any ideas for other uses? I have a lot and hate to see them go to waste.

Canning jars in the background is pints of beef I canned yesterday for size comparison.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The_Colonel - 06-04-2012

You have me stumped CBS... What the hell is that?

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 06-05-2012

(06-04-2012, 09:00 PM)The_Colonel Wrote: You have me stumped CBS... What the hell is that?

Kolrabbi. Not sure if I spelled that correctly.
Taste is like a turnip but sweeter and milder with not quite as dense a texture. The edible part grows above ground on these.