Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Food preservation & preperation - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tactics, Prepping & Survival (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Tactics-Prepping-Survival)
+--- Thread: Food preservation & preperation (/Thread-Food-preservation-preperation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Food preservation & preperation - rthrasher2 - 07-11-2011

yeah they do pretty well, at least over here anyway.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 07-11-2011

(07-11-2011, 09:53 AM)Chicago Ted Wrote: How does eggplant perform as a crop here in PA CBS?

Eggplant does well. I have a lot of trouble with flea beetles when I grow it. Dusting with diatomatious (sp?) earth really helps a lot. Problem is it has to be dusted after every rain or they swarm it.

Found this site today. You members without a dehydrator may want to check it out.
http://www.offthegridnews.com/2011/07/11/fruit-leathers-and-dried-fruit-snacks/
Lots of stuff on the site that may be of use to "survivalist" types.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 07-31-2011

Back to beans again...
Green beans, string beans,snap beans or whatever you want to call them, they are popular.
Trim the blossom end and the stem end off. Either cut or just snap them off.
Easiest way to pack them into the jars is to cut them up into pieces an inch or so long. You can try to pack them whole but it's time consuming and I find it frustrating. Quarts seems to work best for us.
Pack raw into the clean jars and fill with water to an inch from the top. Some people add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice to the jar first, but it's not necessary. Process for a half hour at 10 psi.
Mixing a quart of the beans with a pint of our canned ham makes a quick and tasty meal.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 07-31-2011

(07-31-2011, 03:51 PM)yerlocalredneck Wrote: ITS BACONNN!!!!!!! seriously its bacon 108 oz, for just one easy payment of $153.39 plus shipping and tax Smile

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2CMMG10206-1.html

I'll can my own. It'll cost about $25 for that quantity.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 08-01-2011

(07-31-2011, 09:41 AM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: Back to beans again...
Green beans, string beans,snap beans or whatever you want to call them, they are popular.
Trim the blossom end and the stem end off. Either cut or just snap them off.
Easiest way to pack them into the jars is to cut them up into pieces an inch or so long. You can try to pack them whole but it's time consuming and I find it frustrating. Quarts seems to work best for us.
Pack raw into the clean jars and fill with water to an inch from the top. Some people add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice to the jar first, but it's not necessary. Process for a half hour at 10 psi.
Mixing a quart of the beans with a pint of our canned ham makes a quick and tasty meal.

I found this, It may be useful?
Have you ever used one?

Bean Frenchers and Green Bean Slicers
By the way!
This place seem nice and has lots of information.

Pick Your Own
I've been wanting to ask this for awhile now.
Mason Jars small and Large are great to use & Re-use.
Their only down fall being glass so I wondered about Steel canning!

I did some searching on the subject. It seems like I'm not the only one. Other sits on Home Canning have talk about this.

I found this outfit.
Open Top Cans & Accessories

They have all the stuff needed. Could be pricey but you can't beat the glass Jar as you can a steel one! Smile

I'm sure their are other Company's out their and maybe You could pick up a Steel Can Sealer on Ebay or something. Manual or Electric.

What do you guys think?

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-01-2011

[/quote]

I found this, It may be useful?
Have you ever used one?

Bean Frenchers and Green Bean Slicers
By the way!
This place seem nice and has lots of information.

Pick Your Own
I've been wanting to ask this for awhile now.
Mason Jars small and Large are great to use & Re-use.
Their only down fall being glass so I wondered about Steel canning!

I did some searching on the subject. It seems like I'm not the only one. Other sits on Home Canning have talk about this.

Never used a bean cutter or frencher. Don't really see the need.
Canning in metal cans is a great idea. I looked at it but decided I didn't want to spend the money on equipment.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The_Colonel - 08-01-2011

I have helped my gram with her canning since I was a wee little lad and I can't say that I have ever had anything happen to question the integrity or repeat usage of the glass jars. Were you planning on using them as weapons against the zed and have them remain intact and sealed?

Anyone that does normal canning (in my experience) has the proper storage room in place already with shelves that is nicely tucked out of the way, in a cool, mostly or completely underground, damp-ish place.

My gram told me she has been using the same jars for over 35 years.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-01-2011

(08-01-2011, 05:15 AM)The_Colonel Wrote: Were you planning on using them as weapons against the zed and have them remain intact and sealed?

Anyone that does normal canning (in my experience) has the proper storage room in place already with shelves that is nicely tucked out of the way, in a cool, mostly or completely underground, damp-ish place.

My gram told me she has been using the same jars for over 35 years.

I believe he was considering transportation issues. I wouldn't want to stuff jars of food in my BOB, but some cans wouldn't be an issue.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The_Colonel - 08-01-2011

gotcha... in that case, get or make some moonshine crates?

or get a sweet pelican box with custom inserts for jars LOL

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-02-2011

Asparagus, another powerhouse food that should be considered for addition to the menu in the PZAW. Fresh steamed is best, frozen is ok and canned is a slimey mess, but we can some anyway.
We cut pieces about an inch or so. Like string beans, you can raw pack the spears whole but it's a pain and takes a lot of extra time.
Pack quarts or pints depending on your preference. Some add salt (not necessary) or lemon juice (again not necessary). Add water to the jar to an inch from the top. Process pints @ 10 psi for a half hour. Quarts for 45 minutes.
Now to use it up. Dump your slime into a pan. Add beef boullion cubes appropriate to the quantity of asparagus you are heating up (quart or pint). Add some tyme and simmer. Make a great soup but you will be on the lite side for carbs so make up some grilled cheese to go with it and you have a complete meal made up in 15 minutes or so.
Been doing a little experimenting with Chicago Ted's idea of "meals ready to boil". Here's one to try out.

A cup of oatmeal, the instant kind or regular. BTW the instant kind does not compare for nutritional value, but make you own choice of course. Even the "irish" or steel cut oats will work. Add 2 tablespoons of powdered milk and about an equal amount of dried fruit. Depending on your tastes you may want to add a tablespoong of sugar, or if using dried apples some brown sugar goes well. I'm looking around now for some maple sugar to try in a a mix. I'm thinking schnitz & maple should be good.
Approx a cup of water worked well with the mix I used.
I cooked mine up using my sterno stove. I got the water hot enough to just start to boil and dumped the dry ingredients in. A reduction in heat is needed at this point so I used the lid of the sterno can to choke back the flame. (this taught me the value of having a Gerber tool in my BOB). Stir and if the mix gets too thick add a little more water.
Good lite weight meal that by tweaking the mix you can vary the nutritional content. Of course you can always just buy the prepackage stuff with the Quaker dude on the package but with them you take what you can get.