Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Food preservation & preperation - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tactics, Prepping & Survival (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Tactics-Prepping-Survival)
+--- Thread: Food preservation & preperation (/Thread-Food-preservation-preperation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 06-26-2011

Talking about lean meats &/or No Fats, I remember finding out about this on a survival show once.
I think they call it Protein Poisoning. Also known as Rabbit Starvation

While we are on the subject of,

BACON! Heart

We don't want anything to go waste.
That paper towel could be very useful. One, I guess any oil left in the jar & paper towel could be used for Flavor, Right?

Plus, It would help out when making a fire. A oil soak paper towel would work well.

As for all things Jerky. I also remember seeing a good segment on making home made Jerky by. It was pretty good, Even another way to dry the meat out.

Good Eats: Alton Brown
Urban Preservation II: The Jerky

Part 1
[youtube]rIK4DVLHf7Y[/youtube]

Since I'm only allowed one Video per post. I'll post the second one later.
Here are the links you'll need to add the (www.).
youtube.com/watch?v=rIK4DVLHf7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 06-26-2011

chazman21

While we are on the subject of,

[b Wrote:
BACON! Heart[/b]

We don't want anything to go waste.
That paper towel could be very useful. One, I guess any oil left in the jar & paper towel could be used for Flavor, Right?

Plus, It would help out when making a fire. A oil soak paper towel would work well.

You got the idea, Waste nothing but DO NOT USE A PAPER TOWEL. Parchment paper is very, very different stuff. If you use a paper towel when canning bacon you very likely will be consuming a lot of fiber along with your bacon.
I have heard stories about people saving up the grease from canned bacon to make soap. Just takes some lye or liquid ammonia to complete the process. Should be a nice white bar as the grease hasn't been exposed to dry heat.
Alternately it can be use to fry other foods. Fried potatoes being one or any game meat, which tends to be dry anyway.
In a true survival situation it can be used as a waterproofing agent (in warm weather, it cracks and is not nearly as effective in cold). It makes an adequate dressing for leather goods to keep them pliable. In the old, old days before glass was so easily obtainable the pioneers made "window panes" by stretching linen over a frame "oiling" it with grease (lard) to reduce the opacity and make it water resistant then nailed it in place.
You get the idea. In the PZAW nothing should be wasted!
The parchment paper burns very well and I've used it to start kindling in our wood stove. It does give off a greasy smoke when burning but that goes up the chimney anyway.

Chili.....What's not to like about home made chili. Let face it, beans suck. Not a whole lit of good flavor there so they are baked, refried etc etc to get us to eat them.
While beans are a powerhouse food, plenty of protein, complex carbs and all that other stuff the nutrition eggheads say we should be consuming instead of those evil hamburgers we survivalist types need to make them palatable and work some additional nutrition into the mix.
Lets make some "survival chili" to stock up the bol!
I won't give you a specific recipe for this one. I really don't have one but use the pinch and dollop measurement method for making this stuff.
I brown about a lb of ground beef. Then add some chopped onion. I add a 40 oz can of kidney beans and a quart of crushed tomatos. Now toss in your chili powder. When it gets to tasting the way you like it, toss in some corn. the amount depends on entirely on you. Next I'll add some broccoli. Yes you read that correctly, broccoli. Chopped fine. Next some peas and some finely chopped carrots. A can or two of mushrooms if I have them along with some chopped peppers. Next I'll season up with some tobasco sauce and simmer for a while.
I can in pint jars. 1" of head space at the top and process for 75 mins @ 10 psi.
Now you may be wondering about the nontraditional additives I put in my chili. They have very little affect on the flavor but make a notable contribution to the nutrition. The chili powder (cumin) and the tabasco sauce have a lot of flavor that overwhelms the others. Still don't believe me? I don't blame you a bit. Make up your chili sans the nontraditional stuff. Seperate some off and simmer in a little of the veggies. You can even add it one at a time and if you find one objectionable just don't add it to the main pot. Just make sure it simmers for awhile be fore you do the taste test to give the spices a chance to penetrate the veggies.
The idea is to add as many colors as possible to the mix, which spikes the chili with a lot of different nutrients, so don't be afraid. Toss those chilis, jalapenos etc in there too. And if you can get your hands on some ripe ones, which will not be the green ones, toss them in too.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 06-26-2011

My bad, I miss the part on using parchment paper. Oops! Smile
Yup! That would work!

It just popped into my head. An old candle survival trick.
Using a "used Soda Can", Twine or Shoe lace, and used oil i.e. Bacon grease preferably the liquid part or any other cook down Fat.

Soak the wick "Twine/shoe lace" add the rest of the "Substitute Lamp oil" to the Soda Can. Then lay the wick into the open mouth part of the can and use the Soda Top opener to stand the wick up.

Light it up! Smile When eating your preserved Chicken!

Back to the Subject!
Here is that second part of the video.

Part 2
[youtube]dfI0NKl-Kq0[/youtube]

How about some schnitz, or better yet schnitz and knepp?

Schnitz is simply dried apples. Any variety of apple will work, but we tend to use the "snack" type apples. The "cooking" varieties tend to be on the tart side and don't get any sweeter with drying.
Wash them well. Commercial apples are sprayed with a lot of insecticide. A drop of detergent with the water in the sink is a good idea. Rinse well. Cut any bruises or blemishes off. Halve & quarter. Remove the core. Slice the quarters down into appoximately 1/4" thick slices and place on dehydrator trays. Try not to overlap. Dry well. Store in a cool dark dry place. I vac pack most of mine then drop the vac packs in a jar with lid. Keeps for years.
I do not peel mine as I prefer to keep the fiber and nutrients that the skins contribute. You may prefer them to be peeled.
For some variety try sprinkling with cinnamon before drying.
Or sliice some as thin as you can and dry hard. They make an interesting alternative to potato chips.
Schnitz can be reconstituted, sort of. I like to cruch, crumble, tear some up and toss them in with my oatmeal before putting it in the microwave.

Pears are another fruit that is easy to dry. These I peel as the skins tend to get very tough and they too go good with oatmeal.

Berries and cherries are also good. Avoid the "pie" cherries unless you are making fruit leather. The intensity of the flavor with pie cherries makes a better leather but you will most likely have to add some sugar before drying.
Remember to remove the pits before you dry!
Blueberries are a seperate animal. I have the best results freezing them first. I put them on a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer for a couple of hours. Pour onto the dehydrator tray and by the next evening they are good to go. These also make a good addition to oatmeal.
Raspberries, blackberries and strawberries too guys.
The old timers had large retangular tin pans. they were essentially a box with a hole in one corner. Pour some water into the hole and put the fruit you were drying on top. The whole arrangement sat on top of the cook stove and was used like a double boiler. My aunt had one and I loved the combination of smells, wood smoke and apples! For those of you without a dehydrator you may be able to come up with something similar.

I have an idea for an addition to the GHB. Some oatmeal & dried fruit along with some powdered milk in a vac pak. I gotta find some of those boilable bags for my Foodsaver and play around with this one. Shouldn't be too hard to do and would make a good lite weight take along mealExclamation.

(06-26-2011, 04:54 PM)chazman21 Wrote: My bad, I miss the part on using parchment paper. Oops! Smile
Yup! That would work!

It just popped into my head. An old candle survival trick.
Using a "used Soda Can", Twine or Shoe lace, and used oil i.e. Bacon grease preferably the liquid part or any other cook down Fat.

Soak the wick "Twine/shoe lace" add the rest of the "Substitute Lamp oil" to the Soda Can. Then lay the wick into the open mouth part of the can and use the Soda Top opener to stand the wick up.

Cool idea. Maybe now you younger guys understand why so many of those old farts who lived through the "great depression" didn't throw anything away.

Sauerkraut. Love it or hate it, it's filling and from what I understand it's a good source of vitamins and fiber.
Trim outer leaves and any obvious bad spots. Halve, core and shred cabbage.
Pack into a suitable container. I avoid metal and actually use a plastic 55 gallon drum with the top cut out. Obviously I make a LOT of sauerkraut, but give a lot away to family and friends.
A plastic 5 gallon bucket works well.
No need to pack too tightly. Just press it as firmly into the bucket as possible by hand. Forget all the stuff you may have heard about "layering" and using a wooden "stomper".
When the bucket has been filled to within 4 to 6 inches from the top toss a handfull of non iodized salt on top. No need to overdo it with the salt. Probably in the area of 4 tablespoons is totaly adequate. Place a plastic bag over the top, inverted so that the top part of the bag is on the outside of the buck, and fill with water to make an air seal. I then cover this bag with another to keep the water from evaporating and to keep bugs from breeding in the water. Use opaque bags. Black ones preferably. Patiently wait 2 months. Drain the water off the top & remove bag. The top of the kraut will be brown and slimey looking. Don't fret, just skim it off and toss it in your compost pile. Bag the rest and freeze. We do quart freezer bags. Or pack into quart jars to about an inch from the top and can at 10 psi for an hour.

As I said, I use a 55 gallong drum. I set it on a corner of my deck, so it gets quite warm as I usually harves my cabbage in July. No need for making it in the cellar, in a crock, with a plate on top and skimming the "scum" every day like the old timers did. I taught a friend this method and he makes his in a 5 gallon bucket in a closet in his apartment!

RE: Food preservation & preperation - rthrasher2 - 06-26-2011

(06-26-2011, 04:54 PM)chazman21 Wrote: It just popped into my head. An old candle survival trick.

thats how my camp lights our tavern at pensic. we use old veggie oil and mop rope.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 06-27-2011

(06-26-2011, 10:26 PM)rthrasher2 Wrote:
(06-26-2011, 04:54 PM)chazman21 Wrote: It just popped into my head. An old candle survival trick.

thats how my camp lights our tavern at pensic. we use old veggie oil and mop rope.

Their you go!
Mop rope would be perfect and Used veggie oil.
Nothing to waste. Big Grin

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 06-30-2011

Ham.
Eat it as is or make a sandwhich. Simmer up some beans and add the ham. Quick easy and simple no frills bean soup.
Home canned ham is best if you use "real" ham. Not the shaped & pressed pre cooked stuff.
Bone the ham and cut into quarter sized pieces. Pack into jars and leave an inch of space. Add water to fill the voids in the jar. Screw on the tops and process 75 mins @ 15 psi.
Don't toss the bone. Steam the meat scraps off the bone and can the scraps & broth for use in soup.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 07-01-2011

Potatoes.
Peel and remove any bruises, soft spots etc..
Cut to quarter sized pieces. Pack into your jars. For this one we use quarts. Fill to within a half inch of the top. Add water, but you don't need to fill the jars. 1/2 to 3/4 will do. Process 90 mins at 10 psi.

These make some quick mashed potatoes. Remember, they are fully cooked.
Brown them with some sausage. Add to soups and stews.
We dump the water and all into whatever we are making, except the mashed variety.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - chazman21 - 07-02-2011

I'm going to have to refer to you as, Chef ColdBlueSteel Big Grin