Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Food preservation & preperation - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tactics, Prepping & Survival (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Tactics-Prepping-Survival)
+--- Thread: Food preservation & preperation (/Thread-Food-preservation-preperation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 09-03-2017

Took a batch of baked beans out of the dryer this morning. Rehydration of a small sample took about 4 minuets with hot water. Tasted just like a fresh made batch. Interesting side note. The bacon in the beans did not rehydrate (I'm assuming because of the fat content) and it stayed crunchy.
So far I've done raw eggs, Cooked steak, cooked pork chops, applesauce, cooked oatmeal with fruit, baked beans, spaghetti, meat loaf, bananas, raspberries and maraschino cherries.
Rehydrated, everything tastes just like fresh cooked. The only failure so far has been ice cream sandwiches. It turned the "ice cream" portion of the sandwich into something resembling that spray foam insulation that comes in a can. Tastes ok, but made one hell of a mess.

I just fired the unit up again this morning with cooked hamburgers, milk and a tray full of chicken alfredo. Batch to follow will be shoestring potatoes for hash browns. Taking my little red headed buddy on a camping trip in two weeks. I think I'm gonna be eating good!

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The War Wagon - 09-03-2017

Crunchy bacon in my beans IS acceptable.   Cool

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 04-17-2018

Another update on the freeze dryer. I've accumulated a variety of additional supplies. Lots of berries, cooked brown rice, mushrooms, pepperoni and numerous soups and veggies. Quite a few items are very palatable eaten dry. Most all rehydrates very quickly. 10 minutes or less is the usual. One of my favorites is stir fried rice where I substituted quinoa for the rice. I've even done sauerkraut.

Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-11-2018

Dehydrator is running. Found about 2 gallons of oyster mushrooms and a solid quart of old man of the woods. Great weather for mushrooms! I'm going to vac pac in preparation for a big batch of wild mushroom soup. Hopefully I'll get some hen of the woods and some chicken mushrooms before winter set in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The War Wagon - 08-11-2018

(08-11-2018, 06:42 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: Hopefully I'll get some hen of the woods and some chicken mushrooms before winter set in.

I was out in the sun all day - "winter" seems the FURTHEST worry from my mind this evening.  I'm struggling with "Baileys" vs. "Amaretto" for my nightcap.   Tongue

Mango eum over sliced peaches.

Rum dammit. Maybe I better quit.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The War Wagon - 08-11-2018

(08-11-2018, 07:55 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: Rum dammit. Maybe I better quit.

Mmmmmmmmmm... Captain Morgannnnnn...

[Image: latest?cb=20140127212049]

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 07-21-2019

Another update on the freeze dryer. Been over a year now and WOW, do I ever have an accumulation of food put away for the Zpoc. I've added rice pudding, shrimp alfredo, meatloaf, chicken alfredo, lots and lots of meats and cheeses. My main focus was ready to eat meals. Stuff that's good for camping. I've since moved on to "ingredients" like runs of milk, sour cream etc that can be utilized with fresh products from my garden. One of my better purchases.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The War Wagon - 07-21-2019

Deer have left the vegetables alone... SO far.  Heat and sunshine oughta be making the tomatoes tasty.  And if the rabbits get 'em first, we'll have have tomato flavored Hasenpfeffer instead!   Angry