Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Food preservation & preperation - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tactics, Prepping & Survival (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Tactics-Prepping-Survival)
+--- Thread: Food preservation & preperation (/Thread-Food-preservation-preperation)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Food preservation & preperation - Mr Bear - 09-20-2016

(09-19-2016, 11:07 PM)The War Wagon Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 06:28 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: Ok you bunch of potential terrorists, what are you doing about "comfort food" for the zpoc?

Twinkies.  Because like Zombies, they NEVER die!   Tongue

Just make sure you eat around the buckshot. Big Grin

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 09-26-2016

So the dehydrated eggs are "OK". Flavor is a little flat, but its a great way to have eggs in your emergency stash. 4 and a half dozen store easily in a quart jar. I'm gonna break them down into half pint jars and vac seals with oxygen absorbers.

Please ignore the spelling, "autocorrect" should be renamed.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 12-04-2016

Pineapples on bonus buy at the giant. Bought 4 and broke put the dehydrator. After processing all 4 fit into 6 pint jars. Gonna do this a couple more times.

Please ignore the spelling, "autocorrect" should be renamed.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 04-24-2017

New cooking experience. Made a pair of Swedish candles. You know, a firewood round with an "x" cut a third to halfway down. Build a small fire on top & let your small fire burn to coals. Brush them into the x and set your frying pan on top. Results were an impressive amount of heat generated, especially in the center. Cooking with a cast iron frying pan on this setup took constant attention due to the extreme heat in the center. Bottom line, not worth the effort in my opinion.

Sent from my RCT6103W46 using Tapatalk

RE: Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 05-30-2017

Been seeing the advertisements & doing my research. Decided to make the leap into freeze drying. I already do my share of canning and drying, so I maintain a decent stash of food. Now I'm making the leap into a stockpile. Mountain house is good, but expensive. I think my numbers are good for the justification on the purchase of the harvest right unit. Besides, I just inherited $22 million. That nice Nigerian attorney's email said so!
Anyway, I have quite a number of recipes to try out.
Anyone interested in reviews?

Sent from my RCT6103W46 using Tapatalk

Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-02-2017

Been a while. Time for an update. Machine arrived in great shape. Set it up and waited the recommended 24 hours. First batch was a mix of strawberries and bananas. Started it up and let it run. Total fail. Customer service diagnosed it to be a failed part. Now I have another new unit and have been running it for a week or so. All runs have been a great success. I've done bananas, raspberries and maraschino cherries so far. All are excellent. Going to move on to doing some meals like spaghetti & beef stroganoff for camping meals. Gotta order some Mylar and O2 absorbers. Then I'll trying some lean meats and seafood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-10-2017

Steaks and pork chops worked great! Spaghetti also. All sealed up in Mylar with o2 absorbers. Have 3 trays of chili & 1 of seasoned yellow squash in now.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The War Wagon - 08-11-2017

(08-10-2017, 04:32 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: Steaks and pork chops worked great!

Can you store those at room temperature AFTER sealing them, or do they need to be frozen too?

Food preservation & preperation - ColdBlueSteel - 08-11-2017

Room temp. Not enough moisture left to support microbial reproduction, so in a "cool dry place" they are supposed to stay fresh up to 25 years.

RE: Food preservation & preperation - The War Wagon - 08-11-2017

(08-11-2017, 11:11 AM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: Room temp. Not enough moisture left to support microbial reproduction, so in a "cool dry place" they are supposed to stay fresh up to 25 years.

Now that's allllll-right!   Big Grin