Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Zombie-specific Armor - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Zulu Romeo Tango (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Zulu-Romeo-Tango)
+--- Thread: Zombie-specific Armor (/Thread-Zombie-specific-Armor)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Zombie-specific Armor - cammerhammer - 03-29-2011

So, I was thinking about viable body protection against zombies (not that I ever want to get within reach of one) and I read about how hardened leather was used as protection way back when. Would hardened leather be worth the protection it gives in man-vs.-zombie fights?

I'm not talking about using it all over your body, but as bracers for your forearms, and maybe shin guards/neck shield, too. After all, your limbs/neck are by far the most likely places to be bitten in the event of a zombie attack. Surely it isn't that heavy, so the benefits should outweigh the costs? I'm assuming that a zombie won't be strong enough to bite straight through the leather.

If not, what kind of armoring would you recommend for your limbs, or would you just go without?

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - Chicago Ted - 03-29-2011

http://approvedgasmasks.com/riot-control.htm

Some of the stuff on here works in my mind. Designed for blunt trauma, could take a bite.

Some of the equipment could be replaced, soccer shin pads for forearms, hockey helmet with cage, etc etc.

Someone in the group armed with a riot shield may not be a bad idea. Instant barrier in a hallway with clearing fire over top.

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - JohnnyBmore - 03-29-2011

I always liked the idea of some wide leather wrist bands to at least be able to shove in their mouth just before they chomp ,giving you time to crush their skull with a close blunt object while their nibblers are busy chewing leather.. that's "IF" for some reason a zombie got a chance to get right up on ya .....

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - opie - 03-29-2011

What about those flexible cuttin boards attached to some velcro ? Set them up like sports guards for easy on/off. Some thing like that should be light weight tuff and very resistant to bites!

Leather is very tuff but heavy. Sport type guards can be very cumbersome. <--just my opinion!

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - rthrasher2 - 03-30-2011

Motorcycle gear would work too. in order to get through a heavy leather coat or pants you practically need to use a razor blade or very sharp knife and its lighter than mail or heavy leather. granted you would feel the pressure of a bite but it shouldn't puncture, and some have removable hard armor incorporated. a gorget (gor-je) for neck protection and bracers for your wrists are not bad ideas either. you could even do a demi gauntlet biult onto leather gloves, that will protect your forearm, wrist and hand.

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - cammerhammer - 03-30-2011

(03-29-2011, 10:41 PM)opie Wrote: What about those flexible cuttin boards attached to some velcro ?

I'm not really one to put my life on the line with velcro. I would prefer a fastener that was a little more reliable. I've had velcro fastened things before, and they have a tendency to lose their stickiness after a couple months of ripping/sticking.

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - YukonDon - 03-30-2011

If we are just talking about protection from biting/mauling...then anything like a thick leather or plastic should work. As mentioned, hockey gear would be pretty good as it is made for high impact. So, if you see a dude in full hockey gear with an AR, it's probably me....

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - ZombieDon - 03-30-2011

I was always of the thought that leather with a Kevlar weave like motor cycle gear would be perfect for zombies. Plus you can get some ballistic plating in there for small arms fire protection too and probably still maintain movement. It will be your arms, legs, neck and head that a zombie would go for. Look at what an attacking dog does and you'll get the idea.

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - cammerhammer - 03-30-2011

The main problem is maintaining that crucial protection/weight ratio. You don't want to overprepare and be a heavy, slow-moving lard. One of our few advantages against the horde is our speed and agility, and to strip ourselves of that would be foolish. I like rthrasher's and Zdon's ideas about the motorcycle gear, gorget, insertable/removable ballistic plating and that line of thinking.

RE: Zombie-specific Armor - sgt_geist - 03-30-2011

(03-30-2011, 12:34 PM)cammerhammer Wrote: The main problem is maintaining that crucial protection/weight ratio. You don't want to overprepare and be a heavy, slow-moving lard. One of our few advantages against the horde is our speed and agility, and to strip ourselves of that would be foolish. I like rthrasher's and Zdon's ideas about the motorcycle gear, gorget, insertable/removable ballistic plating and that line of thinking.

What do you think of Riot Gear? http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TE583&promo=YES&sourcecode=11570050&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=TE583&ne_ppc_id=1018&ne_key_id=9699127

Its normally light weight, but it doesnt cover everything.....