Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Firearms Training / Practice - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tactics, Prepping & Survival (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Tactics-Prepping-Survival)
+--- Thread: Firearms Training / Practice (/Thread-Firearms-Training-Practice)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Firearms Training / Practice - Guns4Fun - 08-24-2010

Okay, we've all seen the videos rolling around on the board showing different "shooting / training" ideas.

What drills do you like to run to stay sharp for Z day?

Here are a few of the ones i like to run:

I find the 1-5 and F.A.S.T to be the hardest. With the 1-5 it's hard for me to count shots. The fast is hard because you need to focus on 2 into the 3x5 card. It's hard for me to get off 2 quick shots into that small area and still be fast.

So, again besides driving around in a car shooting and walking through smoke what all do you like to practice.

2x2x2

1-5

F.A.S.T

http://pistol-training.com/drills/fast-fundamentals-accuracy-speed-test

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - andrewjs18 - 08-24-2010

best training I could use is actually getting out to shoot more often..I don't shoot nearly enough...I'm lucky if I have time to shoot 1-2X every 2-3 months.

guns..1 day we'll have to hit up the range so you can show me some of this carbine skills you know.

I'm awful with a rifle..

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - Guns4Fun - 08-24-2010

(08-24-2010, 09:15 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: best training I could use is actually getting out to shoot more often..I don't shoot nearly enough...I'm lucky if I have time to shoot 1-2X every 2-3 months.

guns..1 day we'll have to hit up the range so you can show me some of this carbine skills you know.

I'm awful with a rifle..

I can show you some of the drills but i can assure you i'm no Kyle Lamb or Todd G. Some day i hope to be half as good as them with a carbine and a pistol.

Hell, most times when shooting the F.A.S.T drill i ignore using the 3x5 card all together and call 2 head shots "good enough".

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - Kaos - 08-24-2010

Tracking the sight is the tough part for the 3x5 card, if you can seriously focus on "front sight" and not just because most classes the instructors are just saying "front sight! front sight!"

Keep in mind that the FAST is meant to be a evaluation of skills from a cold perspective - eg shoot it more than 3x and youre "cheating"

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - opie - 08-25-2010

So guns4fun where about in sector 7 are you?

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - Guns4Fun - 08-25-2010

(08-24-2010, 11:40 PM)Kaos Wrote: Tracking the sight is the tough part for the 3x5 card, if you can seriously focus on "front sight" and not just because most classes the instructors are just saying "front sight! front sight!"

Keep in mind that the FAST is meant to be a evaluation of skills from a cold perspective - eg shoot it more than 3x and youre "cheating"

I get the idea of "cold". But I find doing it repetitively helps with getting the draw and reload down too. For me, I find that to be an important aspect too.

No matter what, it is fun and challenging.

(08-25-2010, 12:32 AM)opie Wrote: So guns4fun where about in sector 7 are you?

I'm in Montgomery county. That's about the best detail i'll give out on an open forum.

Why do you ask?

Come on people. Someone has to have a training drill they like to run. If you don't have a demo video - just explain it with words on how it's done. I'm always interested in trying new stuff.

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - Guns4Fun - 09-01-2010

Okay, this would be a lot more fun if others joined in with their practice drills.

I've got 2 more that we did in the class i was in over the weekend.

1. Use this target
.jpg   circle target.jpg (Size: 2.02 KB / Downloads: 97) Shoot 1 shot into all 6 circles. Start at low ready, 7 yards - on buzzer go. Goal - under 3 seconds. You can probably do it a lot faster - but 3sec is a good starting point. Keep pushing yourself faster until your shots drop out of the circles. This drill helps you push your rifle to each target.

2. 7- 15 yards - Staple a Silhouette target on an angle off the side of the target stand. Make it look like it is looking out from around a corner. No real time limit but you might find shooting an angled target to be different than shooting a vertical target. I know it was odd for me.

If you want to get all crazy, put an old t-shirt on the Silhouette target. This way it's harder to see where you are hitting and it also prevents you from seeing all the hit zones.

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - chris13 - 09-01-2010

That carbine spits out those cartridges like pumpkin seeds, what is it called? It looks thin and comfy. I can only hold 22 LRs becuase of my small grip and handling.

But anyways, are these drills supposed to exercise the reflex on the trigger or supposed to help accuracy based on timed reaction.

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - kiltedguard - 09-01-2010

It's an AR platform. with plenty of shit stuck onto it. That "ghetto grip" is WAAAAY out there...I wonder how that would work for me. I have a V-Tac sling...and love it...would HIGHLY reccomend.

RE: Firearms Training / Practice - andrewjs18 - 09-01-2010

guns..do you have a link for the target? it's tiny..way too small to shoot, lol.