Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-19-2010

Solid state radios will survive if they are unattached from the antenna or so I've read... I made a dipole but no matter what I do I get crappy SWR readings, even a 5 turn 6 inch RF choke didn't bring it down below 2.5 lol Besides, antennas aren't as expensive as they were in the 70s when they were really popular... I found IMAX2000's with the groundplane kit on ebay for like $160 shipped... i'm just more worried about saving for my vacation than buying a new antenna... lol Plus I might be able to find one for free from a buddy of mine...

-Chaz

RE: Communications - spabula - 07-21-2010

You mean no one here has built a Faraday cage for their setup yet?! Wink

As someone who knows NOTHING about CBs..... Please give me a basic idea of what I should look for when purchasing one (specs)..... In laymans terms if you don't mind. I don't know all the "in the know" lingo

RE: Communications - spabula - 07-21-2010

so basically if i buy a new or newer model they will all basically be the same?? why the differences in price? are there different options on them ( like some have some sort of adjustable gizmo on one and not the other?)

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 07-21-2010

Cobra is good for beginners. The 29 series allows you to calibrate the radio to the antenna, since doing the other way tends to be a pain. There are higher quality brands out there, but most people don't see it as financially logical. They tend to be much better made, and many have very nice features. I'm sure they stick to the right channel better, too. There are pre-made amped up units available online or custom ones from shops, but they're not legal. I'm sure when the SHTF the FCC won't care, but for now they're still in charge on the airwaves.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-23-2010

Radios vary by price for numerous reasons... Better materials aside you have the options of a regular CB or one with SSB (single sideband). Instead of 40 channels, you have 40 AM channels and 80 SSB "channels". The higher the price of the radio, the more bells and whistles you get.

My radio has a built in SWR, modulation, power, and RF meter. It also has talkback (if you really want to hear how you sound on the radio, I keep that option turned off. One feature I do use is the roger beep when I'm talking SSB, when you're done talking it gives a little beep that way the people you're talking to know you're done speaking. It comes pushing 4 watts, but a simple 2 minute turn of a variable resistor and I push about 25 watts on AM and about 45 on SSB... Is it legal? No. But i figure if the FCC ever asks to inspect my equipment it wouldn't be hard to turn them almost all the way down into legal power again... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - Kaos - 07-23-2010

(07-23-2010, 12:15 PM)Chazman321 Wrote: Radios vary by price for numerous reasons... Better materials aside you have the options of a regular CB or one with SSB (single sideband). Instead of 40 channels, you have 40 AM channels and 80 SSB "channels". The higher the price of the radio, the more bells and whistles you get.

My radio has a built in SWR, modulation, power, and RF meter. It also has talkback (if you really want to hear how you sound on the radio, I keep that option turned off. One feature I do use is the roger beep when I'm talking SSB, when you're done talking it gives a little beep that way the people you're talking to know you're done speaking. It comes pushing 4 watts, but a simple 2 minute turn of a variable resistor and I push about 25 watts on AM and about 45 on SSB... Is it legal? No. But i figure if the FCC ever asks to inspect my equipment it wouldn't be hard to turn them almost all the way down into legal power again... lol

-Chaz

I can crank the output of my wireless network way up at home, there's an old lady with a pacemaker across the street though. I don't know if all the warnings are true about that or not - so I never messed with it. It's been a while since I've done an study/research on frequencies and effects on other technologies.

A 15db yagi antenna on the router will put your signal across town! lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 07-23-2010

(07-23-2010, 12:15 PM)Chazman321 Wrote: Radios vary by price for numerous reasons... Better materials aside you have the options of a regular CB or one with SSB (single sideband). Instead of 40 channels, you have 40 AM channels and 80 SSB "channels". The higher the price of the radio, the more bells and whistles you get.

-Chaz

What make/model?

Galaxy DX949 They sell for $180 in the Pilots, but you can get them for $105 refurbished on ebay...

And the thing I really like about it, is I can turn the RF power way down... So if I'm cruising down the road BSing with a guy 500 feet infront of me, I'm not overdriving his speaker... Same scenario as being parked at a truck stop and wanna ask directions... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - BETA - 07-28-2010

Each Sector should have a when SHTF area to meet.