Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-07-2010

I made a dipole from an old mag mount antenna that crapped the bed, I tried it at first when I got my new Galaxy, but it didn't work to well (no modulation, something happened during shipping or something), and I haven't tried it since then... I'm gonna give it a go one of these days when I have time... I use a battery jump box with a 12V outlet for power in the house, works mighty well... The squelch pot on my old Radioshack TRC-447 went out, but that can be fixed if I ever decide to fix it... I peaked it and it puts out decent power, about 18 watts, which isn't bad for a radio that started out putting out 3 watts for whatever reason... Its a good backup radio, just doesn't get loud... Since the pot died I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear anything... lol

The dipole should work good, but I still wouldn't mind a good base antenna. I say their add on cbradiotalk too and checked them out, I've heard good things about them on that forum as well... If I ever decide to get my HAM ticket I just might have to check them out, but then again, I can only afford so many hobbies with crappy pay... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - Kyle H - 07-07-2010

If possibly Id prefer something as compact as possible but will still get some decent reception and signal. Roof or rear bumper would be the mounting location depending on size.

RE: Communications - g4mbl3 - 07-16-2010

What about getting a firestick, and mounting it on the front bed rail right behind the cab. not a dual setup, but just a single one. I have a 4' mag mount and get kiiiiinda decent reception, but cannot transmit. unless they are in a convoy with me. I dont know whats wrong. swr read 1:1

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-17-2010

Mag mounts just don't talk very good... My K-30 will hear very well, but just doesn't talk well... I will eventually get a new antenna, I just don't want to drill holes... My SWRs are very low also, but sometimes that doesn't matter... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - redeye202 - 07-18-2010

The reason i wish to use a mag mount is i don't want to advertise that i have something of value in my truck,the last thing i need is for some asshole to smash a window to ripoff a $100 cb so he/she can buy some crack.
What i'm looking for is a radio and antenna system that will give me 1-5 miles of range and the ability to remove and hide the antenna quickly.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-18-2010

$100 cb translates to about 15 bucks at the pawn shop... lol Not too big a market for cb radios these days... You could get a quick disconnect adapter, just a quarter turn on and off...

-Chaz

RE: Communications - redeye202 - 07-18-2010

Since my last post i have been searching the net for antennas,i found a few that have 102",2 piece units,this has me thinking that a 2 piece with a twist lock base might be what i can use,as the 102" is said to be the best length for a cb.

I am, as i have been called by a member here, clueless, about tech.stuff reguarding cb,thats why i rely on those who know what they are talking about to guide me.

My cb days were in the 70's,driving truck or charter bus,clamp antenna to mirror bracket,plug cb into cig.lighter and boogie on down the road,after i gave that stuff up[too many miles,too many hours and not enough money] i had no use for a cb,that is until i joined a forum of crazy prople that i seem to resemble.Big Grin

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-18-2010

Thats the ticket, the twist lock base or quick disconnect... Without an antenna on theres nothing really to tell that you would have a CB... When I got my radio I made sure to let my insurance know so that if my truck was ever broken into, they would know its in there... A $200 CB isn't easy to replace when you're poor trailer folk! lol My old radio was given to me, so I really don't care about it... It works though, pretty good... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - redeye202 - 07-19-2010

I found someone selling an older Cobra 29xlr thats still in the box,never been used for $50,i think i will give him a call.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-19-2010

That would be a good radio for a collector, but I wouldn't use it... The radio is probably over 30 years old, things like that you just don't use!!! lol

-Chaz