Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Communications - redeye202 - 07-05-2010

Just to bring a little life to the thread,where is the location of the radio shop in the Bulls Head section of Scranton?

I would rather buy a set up locally from a shop and have it matched and tuned at the same time. I don't like giving my money to wally world or bb if i don't have too.

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 07-06-2010

(07-05-2010, 01:00 PM)redeye202 Wrote: Just to bring a little life to the thread,where is the location of the radio shop in the Bulls Head section of Scranton?

I would rather buy a set up locally from a shop and have it matched and tuned at the same time. I don't like giving my money to wally world or bb if i don't have too.

The Bulls Head one just has connectors and wires at this point. There's a dedicated CB shop in Wyoming, though. He does tuning and can make sure your mount is a suitable location (grounding). Nothing big or spectacular there, but the CB business isn't what it used to be.

The CB shop in Wyoming:
C B Center Plus
10 West 8th Street, Wyoming, PA (570) 693-0682

RE: Communications - redeye202 - 07-06-2010

Thank you,i will give them a call and see what kind of deal i can work out.

RE: Communications - Kaos - 07-06-2010

I need to get an antenna for my CB...it's been sitting in a box for years now.

RE: Communications - Kyle H - 07-06-2010

Ive been wanting a CB for a while now to add to my rig. What do you guys recommend for a good budget setup for a midsize SUV?

I have been researching and i will probably go with a Uniden 510 or 520 with a Wilson mag mount antenna,they can be had for right around $100. and have good reviews when used as a unit. I will leave the ham and side band radios to those who will run the command centers,the cb can be used for all other comm.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-06-2010

www.radioactiveradios.com has good prices and you can have it fine tuned any way you would like it...

I have a Chevy Equinox, I run my Galaxy DX949 on a K-30 mag mount, I can hear very well but a mag mount just isn't good to really get distance on... Most bone stock radios get out anywhere between 1 and 15 miles depending on terrain and your antenna. The better the antenna, the better you will get out. Even a cheap radio will sound great with a good antenna and coax...

My next purchase is a base antenna for using at home, I'm thinking the IMAX 2000, but then again an Antron 99 is cheaper and works almost as good... Depends on what the wife will let me spend... lol I wonder how much I'll be able to spend on my little hobby before she kicks my ass? lol

-Chaz

(07-06-2010, 12:39 PM)Chazman321 Wrote: www.radioactiveradios.com has good prices and you can have it fine tuned any way you would like it...

I have a Chevy Equinox, I run my Galaxy DX949 on a K-30 mag mount, I can hear very well but a mag mount just isn't good to really get distance on... Most bone stock radios get out anywhere between 1 and 15 miles depending on terrain and your antenna. The better the antenna, the better you will get out. Even a cheap radio will sound great with a good antenna and coax...

My next purchase is a base antenna for using at home, I'm thinking the IMAX 2000, but then again an Antron 99 is cheaper and works almost as good... Depends on what the wife will let me spend... lol I wonder how much I'll be able to spend on my little hobby before she kicks my ass? lol

-Chaz

Just how far are you into your gun addiction,if she lets you go at least that far,you should be good to go.Smile

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 07-06-2010

2 pistols, 2 hunting rifles, a shotgun, and my .22lr and my daughters pink .22lr... Only 1 pistol and the pink .22lr have come into the collection since her and I have been together, and I sold a pistol which cleared the way for me to buy another... lol I upgraded from a Taurus PT25 to a Ruger GP100, she was ok until she found out how much I spent! lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 07-07-2010

(07-06-2010, 09:25 AM)Kyle H Wrote: Ive been wanting a CB for a while now to add to my rig. What do you guys recommend for a good budget setup for a midsize SUV?

It would have to be more specific. Depending on the type, you might have to go with a roof mount to get a decent ground. The 10' whip is actually one of the cheapest out there. If the local radioshack has one in stock they can be had for $20 easy. A fiberglass whip can be put on if clearance is an issue, but make sure it's a top-loaded coil (not the spring that are sometimes attached to the bottom) antenna (where most of the wraps are) to get optimal range and clarity. The coil needs to be above the roof.
(07-06-2010, 08:17 AM)Kaos Wrote: I need to get an antenna for my CB...it's been sitting in a box for years now.

Go to the flea market if money is overly tight for that kind of thing. I have like 4 spare antennas (along with like 10 CB's Big Grin) I've gotten from the flea markets.
(07-06-2010, 10:20 AM)redeye202 Wrote: I have been researching and i will probably go with a Uniden 510 or 520 with a Wilson mag mount antenna,they can be had for right around $100. and have good reviews when used as a unit. I will leave the ham and side band radios to those who will run the command centers,the cb can be used for all other comm.

Unless you - for some reason - can't drill into your vehicle to mount an antenna (don't forget about bumpers), avoid magnet mounts. They don't get a decent ground so the power, clarity, and range are all diminished.
(07-06-2010, 12:39 PM)Chazman321 Wrote: www.radioactiveradios.com has good prices and you can have it fine tuned any way you would like it...

-Chaz

I've seen radioactive's site (ads on cbradiotalk.com) but haven't bought anything from them.

I've gotten 25 miles out of my Cobra 29 and my old Firestick (before I replaced it with a 10' whip) unmodified, unheated and clear as day. I was sitting on top of a mountain, though.

I was thinking about making my own dipole base antenna (or just buying a premade since they're only about $30).