Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Communications - YukonDon - 04-13-2010

If there is a situation bad enough for us all to resort to CBs for communication, then I'm doubting the traffic level will be what is currently is.... To keep things simple, it was decided (before my time) that sector numbers would be the cb channel when TEOTWAWKI occurs.
I'm guessing there wont be too many trucks on the road then...

RE: Communications - Kaos - 04-13-2010

I have a CB for my 4x4...just need to get an antenna and install it.

RE: Communications - sandbagger - 04-16-2010

I have a couple of kick ass walkie talkies that we use on family vactions....but, I need to get a cb and dig out and dust out the shortwave.....

I think everyone on here is on the right track though.....that's if Hollywood has gotten it right in the movies!Big Grin

The radios in Terminator Salvation, Kevin Smith in Live Free Die Hard, etc.....

RE: Communications - chazman21 - 04-18-2010

I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this idea & Share some info.

A good Rig/radio will set you back $$$, A descent one not as much.

I'm running on a TOUGH BOOK CF-28 Laptop, and I came across an adapter for the MP "Media Pocket" once.
You plug the adapter in. Its just a software driven Transceiver.
I guess their are others out their. I have seen HAMS use this type of stuff before, Along with their other Radios.
Its half the price of a descent Rig but with the options of a Great $$$ Rig.
I'm sure you would need a Lic. to run it on certain channels & Power Levels.

When i was looking more into this. I came across something very intriguing.
Some Relay Stations don't always Relay/Transmit the incoming signal back into the Air.
With the proper encoding embedded in the signal. The Relay station will redirect the transmission on to the WWW. To another Relay/Station, One of many around the world. Then Re-transmit the original signal in to the Air.
Sweet!Idea

I would have to do more research on this subject. Like Country Codes and what not.

I found this book to be a very good read. Full of great information in to the world of Radio.
A new updated Edition is printed every year.

PASSPORT to World Band Radio
Link:
http://www.passband.com/

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 04-18-2010

The relay station has to be hooked to the internet to relay it onto there. Not all of them are hooked up to it.

RE: Communications - chazman21 - 04-18-2010

(04-18-2010, 04:50 PM)nepawolf Wrote: The relay station has to be hooked to the internet to relay it onto there. Not all of them are hooked up to it.

Yes, This is true. I was wondering how one would find out witch Relay/Stations have that capability and their area of coverage.

Then again, If things were to get really bad. I don't want to know that, The Grass is Greener on the other side!Undecided
I guess its good to know because it may come in handy one day.

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 04-18-2010

I don't know how to find that out. If you go to your local ham club and do the license and testing, I'm sure you could find out from them.

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 05-01-2010

(04-30-2010, 12:31 PM)sxharr05 Wrote: Not that it will be needed in such a situation, but I plan on getting my HAM ticket, and just installed a 2 meter transciever in the rig. If the repeaters are up and running (and with the hardcore hams you know they will be)you'll be able to communicate a pretty good distance on 2. Also waiting on a handheld.

That's the spirit. I've been procrastinating that for a long time.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 05-29-2010

I think a CB would be the best way to go for communications... I had a crappy Radio Shack CB radio, but the wife bought me a Galaxy 949 for Father's Day which has sideband and more reach to it... I do think HAM radio has it's place for extreme long range communications, but it just costs so much damn money and there is a lot of legal hassle and tests.

I think after Z-Day, all the survivors will be able to get their hands on a CB, they are very common on vehicles in my neck of the woods, and I've never seen a tractor trailer without one except new guys that just got their truck... lol

I also think channel 9 would be a good channel to keep an eye on. I think everyone has seen signs on the highway saying the police monitor channel 9 and even people who know next to nothing about CBs knows channel 9 is an emergency number...

-Chaz

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 05-30-2010

They must just be idiots and think that the Channel 9 button is there to make things easier on them... Not that there is much the FCC will do about it, but still... lol

-Chaz