Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 06-14-2009

YllwFvr Wrote:I know nothing about CBs, I guess I need to learn. I just bought a Uniden PC78 Elite off ebay for $23 but it has no power cable (easily rememedied) and no antenna. What size antenna should I get? I only have a little hatchback but if its best ill get one of those huge whip antennas lol.
Any realistic range?

For range, 20-30 miles max, whether/solar flares will increase/decrease that range. Expect 10-15 miles normally.

While you don't need a huge whip I would recommend a whip style antenna. On a hatchback the only mounting options put the antenna on top of the car and you don't want it getting damaged on things like low bridges, the roof over drive through windows, etc.

Radioshack has a Cobra Magnet Mount for $40, but you can probably find it cheaper on Ebay.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2430281

I have a preference for Wilson antennas and they also offer magnet mounts. The Wilson 1000 is available in magnet, lip, and permanent mounts.
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/w1000.htm

Re: Communications - nepawolf - 06-15-2009

YllwFvr Wrote:I know nothing about CBs, I guess I need to learn. I just bought a Uniden PC78 Elite off ebay for $23 but it has no power cable (easily rememedied) and no antenna. What size antenna should I get? I only have a little hatchback but if its best ill get one of those huge whip antennas lol.
Any realistic range?

I also have several family band walkies, but through experience I wouldnt even bet on them reaching town two miles away.

I'll have to find their address, but there's a big rig specialty shop in the Bull's Head section of Scranton. He does tuning and tweaking of CB's, too.

Re: Communications - YllwFvr - 06-16-2009

nepawolf Wrote:I'll have to find their address, but there's a big rig specialty shop in the Bull's Head section of Scranton. He does tuning and tweaking of CB's, too.
Awesome! I will definately go.
I bought that cobra 37" antenna you suggested fletcher. I would have picked up the bigger one but I couldn't find a price listed on the website and I knew I could get the other fast at radioshack.
Couple more questions. Can I run the wire through my door and onto the roof? And would I be better running power from the battery or through the lighter power jack?

Re: Communications - nepawolf - 06-16-2009

YllwFvr Wrote:
nepawolf Wrote:I'll have to find their address, but there's a big rig specialty shop in the Bull's Head section of Scranton. He does tuning and tweaking of CB's, too.
Awesome! I will definately go.
I bought that cobra 37" antenna you suggested fletcher. I would have picked up the bigger one but I couldn't find a price listed on the website and I knew I could get the other fast at radioshack.
Couple more questions. Can I run the wire through my door and onto the roof? And would I be better running power from the battery or through the lighter power jack?

I'll swing by the shop later since I can't remember the name of it. But, yes you can run the cable through the door and onto the roof that way, just make sure the wire isn't pinched too tight. The power can be run through the lighter power jack, but you will get more interference that way. If you hook it up to the battery, make sure to have a fuse in the line. If you really want to do it right and get the best performance, run it through the fuse box with the appropriate ampage fuse. I have my CB cable running through the door and powered through the outlet. It works just fine, but if the squelch is all of the way off I get interference when I go to roll down my windows or use the blower. You could always mount the antenna on the bumper. The mount cost me $1.50 IIRC from the big rig shop. Running a spring under the antenna might not be a bad idea, if it's a good quality one.

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 06-16-2009

Like NW said, through the door is fine as long as its not pinched, you don't want to damage the outer braid of the coax or crack the inner insulator around the inner wire and have the braid and wire contacting each other. Coax will stand up to a bit of abuse and running through the door is childs play to it. I've currently got a magnet mount (had to take off the good antenna) and its run through the front of the door and across the roof.

When you go to the big rig shop, ask them about tuning the antenna. Tuning is just adjusting the length to get the SWR ratio as low as possible. Ideally you want a 1:1 but outside of a lab thats unlikely. I've gotten 1.2:1 already but the norm is about 1.5 to 1.7 to 1. SWR is basically a measurement of how much of your radios transmitted signal is radiated out from the antenna as compared to how much is reflected back to the radio through the coax from the antenna. If there's too much reflected signal you'll end up burning out your radio, anything from just killing the transmit circuits (instant conversion from 2-Way CB to CB Scanner)to the power supply itself.

Re: Communications - omegac - 06-28-2009

i personally have used these before and they are pretty good. range isnt all that great but wouldbe great for finding people locations.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146

Re: Communications - nepawolf - 06-28-2009

omegac Wrote:i personally have used these before and they are pretty good. range isnt all that great but wouldbe great for finding people locations.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146

You can get a handheld ham radio for less than one of the good ones of those. Instead of 5 watts, they usually work with 20-25 and work off of the repeaters and therefore as long as the repeaters are up have about as much range as your phone. Mobile repeater stations can be set up on a vehicle, so assault teams with those handhelds would have no issue contacting base.

Re: Communications - omegac - 06-28-2009

i understand the use of the ham radio ones but i am saying for closer encouters when doing search missions. it allows you to track the other people on your channel and when they talk it shows there location on the gps.

Re: Communications - nepawolf - 06-29-2009

Yea, it'd be nice, but those are real expensive. Especially considering the fact that they're basically a $50 FRS radio and a $200 GPS unit all in one. Usually they give you a deal for that kind of thing. Now, if they wanted 150-200 for one of the 5 watters I'd be more inclined, but I just can't see 450-500. If there was a store that had a whole bunch (or even just 2 or 3) when SHTF, I'd have no problem with the idea of taking all of them for the team. But, for that price, I'd be willing to call the coordinates in over the radio and have people with GPS and radios on them.

Re: Communications - omegac - 06-29-2009

ya i hear ya. i used to have the 150 till i lost it in the woods.i got it refurbed back in the day for like $200