Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 01-15-2009

nepawolf Wrote:I think if we could set a preset cb channel it could help for when migrating to another sector. The only issue would be anyone using a tuned up radio could clutter other sectors with chatter not related to their current task at hand.

I hadn't thought of that, but considering the range CBs work at (normally about 30 miles max), It might not be that big of a problem. If strongholds in neighboring sectors are close enough that bleedover is an issue for them they can easily decide to use a higher channel and just monitor their sector channels for newcomers.

ie: strongholds in sectors 6 and 7 - 6 monitors channel 6 and 7 monitors channel 7 to 'watch' for people that saw the notices painted on signs/billboards, but the two strongholds both use (6+7=) Channel 13 for normal communication. They're close enough that they'll wanna be listening to each others chatter in case a horde starts moving towards one or the other in order to send reinforcements, to share resources, etc.

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 02-07-2009

Those are some of the reasons we're thinking FRS for person to person/car to car, CB for medium ranges (base to base, general chatter, other survivors), and HAM for longer ranges or sensitive info. Wired and wireless phones are gonna go down quick, but true wireless communication can be maintained as long as there's generators available to power the equipment so we'll need to be making use of it.

Re: Communications - nepawolf - 04-06-2009

Anything in excess of 5 watts is illegal for cb usage without a permit/license. Frankly if you wanted more than 5 you could just buy a decent cb and run a filter and an amp with a good antenna. The antenna part is important. Many can't support high power loads. They make ones that will support over 50,000 watts that they sell in cb shops and truck stops. The amps and filters are easy to hook up. If you want better power than your average walmart radio a cobra radio with great wires and a real good antenna will make all the difference from a cheap setup. The cost difference is there, though. A high quality setup will run $150 and up, as compared to a beginners setup which will run around $50. High quality wires and antenna are really important. Also, if you really want to run dual antenna's they have to be precisely mounted for distance. The best use for those are with a setup that allows one for reception only and one for transmitting only.

Edit: You're not talking about one of the old 23 band setups are you? As far as schematics I can't help you. Realize, though, there are reasons why vacuum tubes are almost never used. As a mobile setup, there would be issues with vibration.

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 04-09-2009

We already thought about that a couple posts up. Sector # is sector channel, so when traveling into sector 7 you'd jump to channel 7, in sector 3 you'd be on channel 3. The most commonly used channels are in the middle of the range (15-23) so we'd be out of the high traffic section and be able to easily figure out what channel known friendlies are on. Toss in the large range of frequencies on HAM radio and we can have "open/general channels" on the CB for all survivors to be able to get hold of us and more private/specialized channels on the HAMs for "internal" use.

Re: Communications - larry0071 - 04-13-2009

daschnoz Wrote:Being as close as we are to TMI... Even if it doesn't explode mushroom style, a good pop of the facility could release an EMP.

LOL.....

I'm not sure what we have at these nuclear power plants, but there is and can never be these great explosions that you hear folks talk about on the internet. We boil some water, we are essentially a large stove. If we melt down, the reactor core could maybe.... if many things went wrong..... and still maybe at best..... doubtfully.... burn itself out the bottom and into the earth some place. Thats your big nuclear meltdown. A hole. There can never be an EMP or great and wonderfull explosion from a nuclear power plant. You may have a few pipe ruptures that are explosive and problematic, but no large energy release.

Honestly, the biggest issue would be the potential for release of radioactive crap and the surounding area becoming contaminated. Even at that, I have doubts as to any effect to those that left the area shortly after. Remember, folks like me spend 8-10 hours a day at a nuclear plant and spend a large portion of that time inside them. There once was a day 20 years ago that I kinda cared about radiation at the low levels that we are exposed, but now it's just like another day in the sun.

Don't fear the nuclear plants for the things that happened 30 years ago before we knew well how to operate them.

Re: Communications - CommonHighrise - 05-25-2009

What I have equipped;
Multiple AM/FM setups, from home radio, in the car, and I'm currently working on a small pocket rig with an expandable antennae. While not able to do 2-way, while I'm bugging out they could provide valuable info on where to, or not to, go.

Short-range walkies. Decent Motorolla units that take AA's (no outlets in a tent). Good for short range two way comms, and short to medium range listening.

Portable CBs. Handheld Cobras that run on AAs, cigg outlets in cars, or regular outlets. Will let me listen at good ranges, and offer mid-range output of about 10 miles in the right situation.

Still looking for a setup I like to equip my ATV with. Having a decent regenerative power source and less weight restriction, I'm sure I can get something decent hooked up that will let me get in touch into the 20 mile range.

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 06-11-2009

I'll post this here for general info.

3/8x24 is the standard thread for CB antennas. That means you can pick up any CB antenna thats intended to be screwed into a mount purchased separately and screw it into your handheld. Find a 2ft Wilson, Firestick, or any other CB antenna and you're all set.

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 06-11-2009

Ham radio covers such a huge range of frequencies its likely that standard scanners will pick up at least some of them, if not all so broadcasting on a frequency that'll be picked up by scanners is basically just finding what frequencies scanners run and setting up the right band ham radio (CB = 11 Meter, Hams run on 2, 6, 10,12, 15, 17, 20, and alot more bands).

Band refers to the wavelength. CBs operate in the 27 MHz frequency range. If you could see it, a 27MHz radio wave would be 11 meters long. So 11m, CB, and 27MHz are all the same thing just by different names.

Re: Communications - MJFletcher - 06-12-2009

For monitoring, keep an ear on the common channels; 17,19 and 21. ZRT members will (or should) know to use their sector channel but the rest of the public will be using what they've heard in the media, on tv, etc and thats 19 with 17 and 21 used as alternates. Neighboring bases in diff sectors can agree on an alternat station or Ham frequency to communicate with each other while still monitoring their respective channels.

The purpose of having sector specific channels is to get the sectors off the heavy traffic channels to make it easier to communicate among those who already know who and where we are without having hundreds of other people on the same channel screaming "help me help me"

Re: Communications - YllwFvr - 06-14-2009

I know nothing about CBs, I guess I need to learn. I just bought a Uniden PC78 Elite off ebay for $23 but it has no power cable (easily rememedied) and no antenna. What size antenna should I get? I only have a little hatchback but if its best ill get one of those huge whip antennas lol.
Any realistic range?

I also have several family band walkies, but through experience I wouldnt even bet on them reaching town two miles away.