Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Communications - regelr - 11-08-2012

I am a HAM Operator, they work very well, is there anyone else in Sector 6? We could possibly start a fun HAM NET. Overall on this topic having Both a CB and a Mobil Ham would be best. If your looking to get a radio you want to have some power behind it, especially for PA with all our mountains. I have a YAESU VX-8DR its a crazy radio, 5 watt power I think. I am looking into a YAESU - FT-857D for my mobile-truck. I have a CB but its a cheap one from RadioShack, I will be getting a handheld and mobile also.

Let me know if any HAM is interested in meeting up in Sector 6 via radio net.

RE: Communications - MJFletcher - 11-10-2012

(03-02-2012, 09:38 AM)panther223 Wrote: Hams would be much better than cb's If you had a base station and a couple of hand helds for LRRP and perimeter patrols that would be best. You take a HAM test for $25 and get a hand held for about $250 CB is good for about 3 miles?

With no amps on my CB I've hit people 20 miles away. With the radio and antenna properly tuned that's a reasonable distance to expect from CB BUT weather conditions can affect that. Some days there's so much atmospheric interference that 5 miles becomes difficult.

(11-08-2012, 10:43 PM)regelr Wrote: I am a HAM Operator, they work very well, is there anyone else in Sector 6? We could possibly start a fun HAM NET. Overall on this topic having Both a CB and a Mobil Ham would be best. If your looking to get a radio you want to have some power behind it, especially for PA with all our mountains. I have a YAESU VX-8DR its a crazy radio, 5 watt power I think. I am looking into a YAESU - FT-857D for my mobile-truck. I have a CB but its a cheap one from RadioShack, I will be getting a handheld and mobile also.

Let me know if any HAM is interested in meeting up in Sector 6 via radio net.

Don't knock the radio shack CBs. The boards for theirs, cobra, and uniden all come out of the same plant in china and have the same schematics, they just change the exact positions of the components on the board to make them look different if someone opens the radios. ie: RS Compact/Uniden 510PRO/Cobra 19 are all the same radio.

RE: Communications - The War Wagon - 01-15-2016

FOOD for thought, for the "cellular addicted."

Homeland Security Conceals “Secret Plan to Cut Cell Service” During Emergencies

Quote: The Supreme Court is setting aside a petition from the Electronic Privacy Information Center that demanded the Department of Homeland Security release the US government’s secret plan to shutter mobile phone service during disasters.

… ruling that the DHS did not have to divulge the full contents of Standard Operating Procedure 303. That court held that… disclosure would “endanger” public safety.

Under the direction of the so-called National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee, SOP 303 allows for the shutting down of wireless networks “within a localized area, such as a tunnel or bridge, and within an entire metropolitan area.” … Local governments, however, have the power to shutter wireless service regardless of SOP 303.

Like all great emergency powers, this high tech control plan has already been abused. Homeland Security used the kill switch to shut off service to cell phones in order to stifle a San Francisco protest:

The privacy group had demanded the document in 2011 following the shuttering of cell service in the San Francisco Bay Area subway system to quell a protest.

… a “unified voluntary process for the orderly shut-down and restoration of wireless services during critical emergencies such as the threat of radio-activated improvised explosive devices.” (Here is a copy of a heavily redacted version (PDF) of the protocol that EPIC’s lawsuit produced.)

Keep those Hams & CB's warm, just in case the alphabet agencies suddenly decide you DON'T need cell service... Confused

RE: Communications - PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR - 01-28-2016

A few of us were made aware of the wish.com/geek site. Search two way radio and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

Two Way Radios

RE: Communications - priell3 - 10-17-2016

Keeping communications open, I have a portable CB along with a Cobra magnetic mount antenna and we have a pair of those family radios.

I got the CB and antenna from eBay for trail communication when I used to wheel my Jeeps.

Any plans to do a communications test within each sector say on a particular date and time? The county EMS does one every Monday at 7:15pm.

RE: Communications - The War Wagon - 10-21-2016

Portable is nice, but something more fixed to your BOV would be better - shortwave and CB.  And f you're ONLY going CB, you'll want to add a "juicer," for that, emergency...   Cool

RE: Communications - The War Wagon - 10-22-2020

As "Z-Day" rapidly approaches, do we have some "Sector Frequencies" assigned yet?

For those having to "abandon ship," and who might be escaping THROUGH other sectors, it would be handy to KNOW what channels we're using on various radios (CB, 10 meter, GMRS, etc.), so we can meet up, help out, etc. along the way!   Exclamation

RE: Communications - PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR - 10-23-2020

(10-22-2020, 11:02 AM)The War Wagon Wrote: As "Z-Day" rapidly approaches, do we have some "Sector Frequencies" assigned yet?

For those having to "abandon ship," and who might be escaping THROUGH other sectors, it would be handy to KNOW what channels we're using on various radios (CB, 10 meter, GMRS, etc.), so we can meet up, help out, etc. along the way!   Exclamation

I think CB and personal handhelds will be the norm. They don't use networks supported by the electrical grid. Most other set-ups, even solar, will go down at some point due to disrepair or lack of power.

RE: Communications - The War Wagon - 10-23-2020

(10-23-2020, 09:58 AM)PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR Wrote: I think CB and personal handhelds will be the norm. They don't use networks supported by the electrical grid. Most other set-ups, even solar, will go down at some point due to disrepair or lack of power.

No doubt on CB & GMRS, but with the proliferation of Baofeng hand-held ham radios the past couple of years, I didn't know if anyone had given thought to those frequencies yet, as a contact point - especially since that band has a further reach than GMRS, and possibly even MY CB radios!   Confused

RE: Communications - Zombie.Hunter - 12-16-2020

I have some walkie talkies at home plugged in, 3 pair actually.
And why, well as we all know typically going out during a Zpoc if you choose to do so is always best if you have a battle buddy.
So how my system will work is there is three sets of Talkies. The first set is split between the search team so in case separated they can communicate with each other. Then the second set the 1st member of the search team has one and home base has the other so member one can com with home base if separated from member 2. And the third set, member 2 has one and home base has the other again in case of being separated from your partner and you need to com with home base.
Yes they only work a certain distance but it's better then having nothing at all.