Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
Communications - Printable Version

+- Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team (https://www.pazrt.com/forum)
+-- Forum: ZRT Discussions (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-ZRT-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Transportation & Communication (https://www.pazrt.com/forum/Forum-Transportation-Communication)
+--- Thread: Communications (/Thread-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 09-24-2010

Still have to figure out the logistics of setting the thing up. They're pretty big, even for a base antenna.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 09-24-2010

What do you need help with Nepa? A half wave Dipole is best setup in a 45 degree inverted V kinda like ^ that. other than that, you run your coax to it, make sure that the coax comes away from the dipole at a 90 degree angle, make an RF choke from a coffee can and 5 or 6 turns of wire, and you should be good to go... They can be strung up perfectly flat like a T, but most people like the 45 degree inverted V and say it works better... They're just a pain in the butt sometimes to get the SWRs down, which is easier to achieve by folding it up on itself at the ends, no reason to cut them... The higher the channel, the shorter you wanna make the legs, the lower the longer... So if you're going to be using channel 3 on the dipole, measure the SWRs on channel 3 to get them as low as possible, screw the other channels... lol

-Chaz
(09-24-2010, 09:14 PM)Grinnen13 Wrote: Chaz, you're speakin' greek but when the SHTF I'm bringing you with me. My group doesn't have a medic OR a comm. expert. And hell, who else in Lawrence Co. has your back? Big Grin

Lycanthrope... lol We shoot the same course of fire, but what I do in 35 seconds he does in 14... He moves faster than I do also... lol In a SHTF scenario, I'm stealing an ambulance and robbing more for supplies... I'll be set... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - nepawolf - 09-25-2010

(09-24-2010, 11:49 PM)Chazman321 Wrote: What do you need help with Nepa? A half wave Dipole is best setup in a 45 degree inverted V kinda like ^ that. other than that, you run your coax to it, make sure that the coax comes away from the dipole at a 90 degree angle, make an RF choke from a coffee can and 5 or 6 turns of wire, and you should be good to go... They can be strung up perfectly flat like a T, but most people like the 45 degree inverted V and say it works better... They're just a pain in the butt sometimes to get the SWRs down, which is easier to achieve by folding it up on itself at the ends, no reason to cut them... The higher the channel, the shorter you wanna make the legs, the lower the longer... So if you're going to be using channel 3 on the dipole, measure the SWRs on channel 3 to get them as low as possible, screw the other channels... lol

-Chaz
(09-24-2010, 09:14 PM)Grinnen13 Wrote: Chaz, you're speakin' greek but when the SHTF I'm bringing you with me. My group doesn't have a medic OR a comm. expert. And hell, who else in Lawrence Co. has your back? Big Grin

Lycanthrope... lol We shoot the same course of fire, but what I do in 35 seconds he does in 14... He moves faster than I do also... lol In a SHTF scenario, I'm stealing an ambulance and robbing more for supplies... I'll be set... lol

-Chaz

Really? Most of the reading I've done on them says that they're best hung flagpole style so the deadpoints are on the ends. I've seen the inverted V referenced to many times, but without any solid reason why, I just counted them out.

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 09-25-2010

Flagpole style is an attempt to make a directional antenna (a dipole is directional) into an omni-directional antenna... A dipole is quick and easy to use, and talking skip on them is much easier than using say an IMAX or Antron, though I still want an IMAX2000 with the ground plane kit... lol Just string it up and start talking... I've heard of people running the wires in PVC pipes, then just turning the whole assembly to talk in different directions... You can mess around with it, experiment a little... Pretend you're in college... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - nepadestroyer - 09-30-2010

(09-25-2010, 09:28 AM)Chazman321 Wrote: ... I've heard of people running the wires in PVC pipes, then just turning the whole assembly to talk in different directions...

when we rig it with the 45degree angle? or as a T? i figured the 45 is stationary being as the two "dead ends" are facing the ground. and the T would be the most directional. right?

also, when mounting the 45degree setup do you set it up with the wires facing the two directions you are aiming for, or perpendicular to the direction you are trying to achieve. we are thinking of setting it up west/east.

RE: Communications - YllwFvr - 11-07-2010

Something the NEPAs and I have been going to work on is mobile units to foot units communication. We used a handheld CB which receives just fine but cant broadcast for shit.
What I was thinking was I could attach a length of coax cable then a short antenna, maybe three or four feet and run it through the molle on the back of my vest. This may boost my broadcast range. Anyone think this is possible? Is there any kind of adapter for the twist style antenna attachment so I can run cable off it?

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 11-08-2010

I put my dipole with the legs pointing N/S so it talks E/W. When you put it flagpole style, you make it omni-directional which works for a few miles, but not shooting skip too well...

Matt, Radioshak does (used to atleast) have an adapter http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2293328

It screws onto your mobile like your portable antenna does, but it lets you connect a regular coax cable to it to run it from say, a base CB antenna or a mag mount antenna...

Firestick makes a CB/FM radio splitter, it lets you use your CB antenna as an FM antenna as well... i'm going to be replacing my mag mount antenna with a much better antenna setup, and this will keep me from having to drill another hole. I'll just take off my stock FM antenna and put a CB antenna in the stock location... Its just a matter of picking what antenna I want, mainly a choice between the big 3, Mr. Coily, Monkey Made, and a Predator 10K... lol

-Chaz

RE: Communications - YllwFvr - 11-08-2010

(11-08-2010, 12:52 AM)Chazman321 Wrote: I put my dipole with the legs pointing N/S so it talks E/W. When you put it flagpole style, you make it omni-directional which works for a few miles, but not shooting skip too well...

Matt, Radioshak does (used to atleast) have an adapter http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2293328

It screws onto your mobile like your portable antenna does, but it lets you connect a regular coax cable to it to run it from say, a base CB antenna or a mag mount antenna...

Firestick makes a CB/FM radio splitter, it lets you use your CB antenna as an FM antenna as well... i'm going to be replacing my mag mount antenna with a much better antenna setup, and this will keep me from having to drill another hole. I'll just take off my stock FM antenna and put a CB antenna in the stock location... Its just a matter of picking what antenna I want, mainly a choice between the big 3, Mr. Coily, Monkey Made, and a Predator 10K... lol

-Chaz

EXCELLENT! I will look into getting that, its only a few bucks, see what I can rig up and do some tests with the NEPAs!

RE: Communications - Chazman321 - 11-09-2010

if you're going to use a regular antenna, I would suggest the NGP Firestick antenna... It requires no ground plane and is usually used on boats and cars that have no metal to mount to... They use a special coax and it basically uses the coax as a ground plane... Something to look into...

-Chaz

RE: Communications - YllwFvr - 11-09-2010

(11-09-2010, 12:47 AM)Chazman321 Wrote: if you're going to use a regular antenna, I would suggest the NGP Firestick antenna... It requires no ground plane and is usually used on boats and cars that have no metal to mount to... They use a special coax and it basically uses the coax as a ground plane... Something to look into...

-Chaz

See not knowing enough about the technical apsects of it leaves me a little in the dark. I would probably mess it up. I dont know anything about ground planes and such.

Ah crap, I have to buy this special coax too eh? Sad