Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Neck Protection.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone put any thought into bite protection? Which would you prefer, leather, chainmail or some other form?
Chain mail is COOL. My buddy has a full suit. It's just also REALLY heavy.

IDK if leather would stop a zombie from inflicting a bite though. Think crazy person / can't feel pain type of bite. That could really hurt, even if the teeth don't break the skin / leather... man o man. That pressure could put a hurtin' on ya.

Now imagine clawing tearing hands simultaneously. Honestly I think you'd NEED chain mail to not get a wound. OR in other words... (if they get that close to you - you are probably effed anyway.)

I'm thinking like helmet with a face guard and thick riding jacket. Then you'd just have to come up with solid neck protection. Maybe some chaps. (assless of course woo woo)

All armor capable of stopping a severe zombie bite sacrifices mobility to some degree. I'd rather go with lighter protection and more ammo / supplies. But I'm not a big guy, and I'm pretty quick, so I plan on being a fast moving target.
well, i think maybe just a strong canvas will work. but good luck finding clothes made out of canvas.

...but really, how much bite protection do you really need? i think neck shoulders, because that is mouth level for most zombies. forearms, so you can fight off a zed. nice pair of steel toe leather boots, for crawlers. and of course an athletic cup.... just in caseWink
that should protect you from most sneak attacks.
my firearm is in front for protection. then my load bearing gear is on my back i doubt they can bite through that. and lets face it... if it's a horde that has over powered you, they'll just rip all the "protection" off you anyway, and chow down.
I'd rather be able to move, so i can take evasive action...IMHO.
according to "zombie Strippers",(really cheazy movie on FX starring jenna jameson) there is no protection, everyone dies....Confused
(09-19-2009, 04:53 PM)mcmcallister Wrote: [ -> ]according to "zombie Strippers",(really cheazy movie on FX starring jenna jameson) there is no protection, everyone dies....Confused

HAHAHAHAHA! I f'ing love that movie... the goth zombie/stripper was the hottest.
Sporting goods stores carry thick neoprene padded forearm guards, marketed for linemen playing football, that would provide bite protection to the forearm and back of the hand.

Solid boots, with leather gaiters would protect the legs up to the knees (where standard issue kneepads take over), covering you from crawlers in tall grass.

That would keep you fairly covered while on the move, while not sacrificing any real mobility. If I were in a stationary role, welders jacket, gloves (trigger finger exposed), and heavy bib overalls, with a chain mail or kevlar coif. The pressure of the bite will get through and cause some minor tissue damage, but the primary goal is to keep their mouth juices out of your bloodstream.

Flesh wounds can get bandages, zombie bites just get bullets.
Well, so far i need the guards, I have many pair of boots, military kneepads working... still need some more equipment, but ill be ready enough it SHTF
I have one of these. They are light, and provide a wide area of protection not commonly offered by kevlar flak jackets. Included is the neck band that you can flip up.

Probably just roll with that. If you can bite through that. I'll give you a cookie...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL2115-1.html

The whole thing is kelvar. Not just front/ rear panels. They are in the shoulders, neck, loop up over the top and double over each other.

My only thoughts are really that the neck area flips up and is held by velcro. I'd want a buckle of some variety before I considered it against a zed grabbing and yanking at me trying to bite my neck. But it does flip up and create a semi-rigid neck covering.

Now these vary in quality by age, but it might be nice to have some bit of ballistic protection in case things are blowing up around you too. There are reports of people shooting them with .45/.40/9mm and it stopping. But I wouldn't stand down range in one to find out. Not without adding pockets in the front and back for real front and rear ceramic plates. But there's room if you were feeling creative to do so.

Just a thought cause they are cheap and useful for more than one purpose.
Make it a whole strawberry rhubarb pie and I'll chew a whole through the center of that thing. I'm not going to try that hard just for a cookie.
I have a mild steel byrnie. 14g 4-1 pattern. Like a long vest. Plus I make chain maille. Not hard at all just tedious. It weight about 17 lbs. Heavy enough.

However you could get it in aluminum. Much lighter, and cheaper and I easily believe it would provide 100% bite protection with minimal damage from a bite. It spreads the impact area very nicely. I've had my brother beat me with a thick stick till he was out of breath Wink. I have quite a suit of armor. I'll see if I can't scan them so you can see.
Get a decent weight shirt under it ( which you'll want anyway, TRUST me ) and you'll be nigh zombie proof in those areas covered.

If you got a haubergeon you'd be covered knee to elbow. IMO better protection than any leather, weight included.

Of course, you won't see me wearing it. Running my ass off and shooting is preferable to wading through the horde and being untouchable.
Pages: 1 2 3