Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Neck Protection.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yeah, cause getting bogged down in the horde is a no no. I plan on shooting INTO that horde. So does everyone else.

Making zombies the least of your worries if you end up in that crowd.
Honestly, I think I would rather be up close with the shotty if I can't be infected. But, I hate running.
Wolf you won't neednto run anywhere. Shoot the 1911 out the window and then run down any in front with that huge cattle guard. What does that truck weigh anyway? Friggin huge! Let us ground pounders worry about the up close and personal fun. Your the cavalry.
About 4 tons. I was figuring any time out of the truck (possible break down or other unforseen circumstances).
I wonder...anyone know what they did with the old American Gladiator steel ball cages, once the show got cancelled?

[Image: atlasphere.png]

Now that would be the way to drudge through a horde. Sure, an extra 400lbs of gear, but it would be a blast.
Honestly, if you're so up close and personal that you need bite protection you're too damn close. If you can "reach out and touch something" you need to back up real quick. However, if you do find yourself in that situation I would recommend taking a lesson from the jihadists and have at least 20 pounds of nails taped to the vest. Big Grin
Broke this topic down with some of my team mates, and we came up with some good ideas;

Hands- Reinforced operators gloves have been proven useful in the field (hence the name), and most would yeild enough bite protection to keep you from going down due to a surprise attack. Granted, while a finger in a zed's mouth is as good as gone, a bite on the palm/back would be protected enough to prevent penetration and fluid exchange. The extra knuckle coverage will come in handy if one needs to deliver a knuckle sammich in order to get a zed off of them.

Feet- Strong, high topped leather boots offer both good bite protection, and ankle support for the many, many...many miles of hiking that you are bound to rack up. Still soles help with skull stomps.

Neck- A key strike area for standing zombies, especially from behind. While it will go uncovered during the summer, in the winter a thick fleece or wool neck gaiter could serve to soften Zack's bite enough to prevent penetration, though you'd still have one helluva hickey.

Knees and elbows- Hard plastic knee and elbow pads will save you the hurt if you take a fall, have to do a little slide-action, or need to throw some Muay Thai moves into a shambler that has gotten a little too close. Extra points to the first person who lands a People's Elbow zombie kill.
Merged for similarity.
Yeah, I've had ideas about bite/neck protection.Big Grin

Kevlar and leather are hot, but most types of either will do the job. Chain mail is heavy, but breathable. If you're only wearing it on your neck, go with a quality stainless steel neck piece. During the summer, you can go to a renaissance faire and get one made up without arousing any suspicion (unless you start talking about zombie bite protection). A quality custom made piece should be under $100. Most likely well under that, but depending on the faire and vendor you go to it can be cheap or expensive. Cost is not a sign of quality at those types of things. Some will try to pawn off aluminum as stainless steel, so learn how to tell the difference. Aluminum will not serve you well, even though it is lighter. The vendors who deal in aluminum will try to convince you that that is the way to go and stainless steel would be a foolish and expensive alternative to it. Alternatively, you could get "blackened" steel. It's cheaper than stainless and is rust resistant initially. The coating can wear off, and once it does it can an will rust.

If you're on a budget, go to salvation army, goodwill or some other thrift store. Look through the leather jackets for a thick one. Then you have to get creative. Test it thoroughly before you use it.
Maybe Chritian Bale's Batsuit?.....Big Grin
I have 3 PASGT vests , 2 of them have neck collars made of kevlar, i like to see a zombie bit thru 4 layers of kevlar. only thing not protected is my arms and legs .
Pages: 1 2 3