Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: As winter is upon us...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... with snow & salt daily, be KIND to your truck gun(s), inspect them for moisture/salt/rust damage, and clean them accordingly!

I have WeatherTech floormats, which keeps the moisture out of the carpet, but keeps it there 'til it evaporates.  BLASTING the heater at the floorboards keeps the toes toasty, but heats up any guns underseat or center console - then lets them cool again, causing condensation.

And leave us not forget, the tracking of salt INTO the truck, to make that condensation all the more effective AGAINST your truck gun!   Confused

The ONE gun(s) I'll rotate ammo on every spring, IS the truck gun.  Send that stuff downrange, and load some fresh stock in ye old truck gun.  Condensation, heat, cold, and salt works on that stuff too - STARTING with the primers!
Question, is it ok to keep ammo in the basement, but in ammo cases?
If it gets kinda cold in my storage room, will it hurt or ruin the ammo??
(02-03-2021, 11:08 AM)Zombie.Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Question, is it ok to keep ammo in the basement, but in ammo cases?
If it gets kinda cold in my storage room, will it hurt or ruin the ammo??

CONSISTENT temperature, is the key.  Heating & cooling leads to condensation, and then corrosion.  And the primer will fail, before the case fails.

Keeping it in a metal ammo can helps.  A little desiccant pack, if you're really worried, helps too.
Just in case always is a good thing so where can u find the desiccant packs?
(02-04-2021, 10:53 PM)Zombie.Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Just in case always is a good thing so where can u find the desiccant packs?

They come in EVERYTHING - new shoes especially, as I just bought a new pair.  You can BUY them separately from Aamzon, Wal-Mart, and OfficeMax, amongst other places.
I'll keep my eyes out for them here and there.
And I may order some off of Amazon.
Gotta keep the ammo good.