Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Current state of local gunshops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Visited a Sector 4 shop south of the city yesterday.  It's a shop I rarely go to - I only went this day because Anthony Arms was closed and... because they were, open

They still had PLENTY of interesting rifles on the wall, INCLUDING a Romanian RPK, some SCARs and a couple of ACRs.

Still had a DECENT supply of PMAGs (30 rounders), STANDARD capacity tupperware mags, and lots of common and new pistols.

But they had NO common-caliber ammo (pistol or rifle), no STANDARD AK's, and NO AR's.   They also had, NO BUIS, NO slings, and NO sling mounts; things you generally take for granted, and gunshops are usually full of... because that's what I was looking for, to finish off a rifle I'M working on.

There's a McKeesport shop I might check out today, to see how they're doing.  Any interesting finds in your AO; or "discoveries" like... your shop is OUT of everything!?   Confused
Haven't been to a shop in a couple months. I'm well stocked and I'm still working at least 5 days a week.
(04-03-2020, 12:21 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: [ -> ]Haven't been to a shop in a couple months. I'm well stocked and I'm still working at least 5 days a week.

I'm WELL stocked... except on slings & swivels!   Tongue

It's AR #6... but I'd still like to have it done sooner, than later.   Cool
Hmmmm... 

Firearms fly off shelves during March, second-highest record in U.S. history

[Image: 3X7HTRXW5JCU5B7UQIGJMT2AYU.jpg]

Quote:CLAY COUNTY, Fla. — Americans bought about 2 million firearms in March, according to a New York Times analysis of federal data. It is the second-highest record of gun sales in U.S. history.

In March, the Federal Bureau of Investigation processed a record 3.7 million background checks for firearms, which is more than any month previously.

“I’ve seen Barack Obama’s first election, the second election, Sandy Hook, on and on and on … . This one is different,” said Marty Borum, owner of Black Creek Armory & Ammo Depot in Clay County, Florida.

In the past, Americans have raced to the gun store when the government discusses stricter regulation, a mass shooting occurs, crime increases, or terrorists attack. However, some experts believe the fear of the unknown with COVID-19 is causing more Americans to seek protection with firearms.

“Every time there’s a calamity, they beat feet to the gun store and arm themselves, more and more and more,” Borum said.  Borum’s store does some retail sales but mostly sells firearms online. He said the entire industry is trying to restock and keep up with demand.

“The industry is seeing a record number of, yeah, 300(%) to 500% increase,” Borum said. “It started in the retail stores and when those sell out, it shifts to stores like mine, online. Yeah, quite an increase.”
National Armory in Moon Township has plenty of rifles, AR-15's and several used and new handguns on display and for sale.
They typically have some really good inventory and if you get a chance to check them out you won't be disappointed I go there a lot and I count on them for their expertise, having stock on hand and if they don't have it on hand they will order it for you.
Trust me guys you won't be disappointed.

National Armory
1300 Broadhead Rd, Moon, PA 15108

724-457-8060
Not exactly "local" (I'M still tied up with work these days!), BUT...

I have noticed that MOST of the big on-line retailers (DSG Arms, G&R Tactical, AIM Surplus, LaRue Tactical & Optics Planet - those five SPECIFICALLY, because I've shopped them!) are running out of EVERYTHING as well.

I really haven't "NEEDED" ammo in years (I have a policy of buying TWICE what I shoot to replace it.  I shoot 300 rds. of 5.56 at the range; I buy 600rds. to replace it - and I've followed that policy since 9/11!), but I'm having trouble sourcing simple stuff... like, AR receiver end plates, sling swivels, slings, and optic mounts.   Confused

Because I'm all-Aimpoint-all-the-time on CQB optics, it's an INTERESTING time to be shopping for used ones.  Because of the proliferation of the new T-2/H-2 series, and Comp M5's, the BOTTOM has fallen out of Comp M4's and T-1/H-1 prices.  With a little bit of searching, you can find them - with mounts (usually a low mount, or lower-third; if you're like me, and need an ABSOLUTE co-witness , you may hafta shop a little longer, get one WITHOUT a mount [even cheaper!], or sell the mount that comes with, and buy what you want) - UNDER $500!

So I picked up a nice T-1 off Calguns.net (a forum worth joining, if ONLY for their marketplace!!!) this week.   But the ONE retailer where I've found some USEFUL stuff - IN stock - is;

Midwest Industries

They have good stuff, and their pricing is competitive.  I just bought a set of their folding BUIS, and while I've been a Troy BUIS fanboi for over a decade, good LUCK finding even USED ones these days!!!  MI are similar, and $40 - $60 cheaper than a new set of Troys (and people are selling used ones at close to NEW prices!   Rolleyes ).  I'm gonna put 'em on my tactical trainer AR .22, pull the Troys off of it, and put them on the rifle I'm trying to complete.

So happy hunting, for WHATEVER you want/need these days.  Feel free to keep passing along experiences, good or bad, in your searches these days.
Where is the cheapest place to get 5.56 rounds in bulk?
Anyone?
(04-19-2020, 08:16 PM)Zombie.Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Where is the cheapest place to get 5.56 rounds in bulk?
Anyone?

I last bought some Wolf Gold from AIM Surplus back before Christmas; all my usual suspects - including AIM - are out!  

TIME to go to the search engines now;

https://www.ammobuy.com/

http://gunbot.net/

Don't forget to check other gunboards and Armslist (TOUGH to find bargains there NOW, but it IS there!).
Midwest industries order (made on Thursday) arrived today.  Another order from them that I made on Saturday night, is supposed to be here by Thursday.  So far so good!
So I stopped in at Anthony Arms in West Mifflin today.  I went by them on Monday, on my way to Legion Arms in McKeesport, and it looked like they were open again, so I called first - found out they were - and decided to stop in.

The GOOD news - they ARE selling firearms again!  They'd lost their FFL there for a while, but they were sellin' away TODAY!

The BAD news - don't count on finding MUCH in stock.  Like every OTHER store, they've been cleaned out, too.  9mm, .45acp, & 5.56 is ammo is non-existent, but so too are firearms to fire it with.  They do have a few nice revolvers, and some boutique AR's, if you REALLY need one.  None under $2,000.  One fellow was looking over a Nemo Arms AR in .300 Blackout - $5,300, IIRC.

For all you new LTCF'ers, they still have lots of holsters to choose from.  LOTTA pistol & rifle mags too, although as a 1911 guy (I bought a couple of Ruger-branded 1911 mags), ALL doublestack cruncheticker mags look ALIKE to me.   Blush  PMags are still in stock, and I noted some other brands as well (HK and Daniel Defense, specifically). 

As in a LOTTA places, lever guns can STILL be had.  They tamed the Wild West, and against your typical street level thugga, would prove MORE than their match.  I didn't see any shotguns or AK's though.

Like a LOTTA places, I'd call ahead - & I'm sure stock will come in as it comes in.  Legion got two optic-ready M&P 15's when I was there, but they go out the door as fast as they come in.

AS I had a GREAT experience LAST week with Midwest Industries, I heartily recommend them.  On-line might be the way to go for a lotta things - especially firearms themselves, and ammo in these days.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5