Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Interstate gun purchase laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody REMEMBER, when buying long guns, out of state & in-person, became verboten?

The GCA of '68 killed the mail order business, and buying handguns out of state, I know... but in the mid-'90's - as a NC resident interning in TX - I could still buy long guns at that time.  In fact, I bought an AR and a shotgun while in TX.

I know that went "buh BYE" by 2007, when I still hadn't gotten a PA DL Rolleyes , and wanted to buy an M70 A-B at the local Dunhams.  I finally had to break down and go get a PA DL!!!   Tongue 

So when - between 1996 & 2007 - did that become law?  Out of curiosity...
*** You can still buy guns online from another state ***

Answer via Google, Courtesy of Giffords Law Center ... Exact phrasing.

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/p...gun-sales/

Federal law places somewhat looser restrictions on the sale or transfer of long guns like rifles and shotguns across state lines. Under federal law, individuals can lawfully obtain a long gun from a seller or transfer party in another state, provided that:

1. Both parties meet in person to conduct the sale or transfer.
2. The sale or transfer is conducted by, or through, a licensed dealer pursuant to background check and other requirements.
3. The sale, delivery and receipt of the long gun fully complies with state law in both parties' states of residence.

As per to handguns, Under federal law, anyone who does not have a federal gun dealer license, or other Federal Firearms License (FFL) is generally prohibited from acquiring a handgun directly from a seller who resides in a different state.
However, you may acquire a handgun from a seller in a different state if the sale or transfer of the weapon is conducted through a licensed (FFL) in the buyer's state of residence. In other words, a person in one state may buy a handgun online from a licensed or unlicensed seller in another state so long as the handgun is shipped to a licensed deader in the purchaser's home state who facilitates the sale or transfer.
While I know I can buy long guns out of state via an FFL to FFL transfer, I just recall being able to buy both a shotgun & an AR-15 at a TX gunshop, with a NC driver's license (I was there as a grad student) and no hassles; just No handgun purchases.  Not sure if THAT'S still possible these days or not...   Huh