Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Goods & Gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey all,

I know we have a section on goods & gear within the site, but with so many postings in there you could get lost within the writings and I want to ask around about two way personal radios...
Thus, this new post.

I know communications is essential, and I'm not a techy type guy so maybe you all can help.
I can't help but to think when the SHTF cell phones, land lines and the internet is going to crash & I'm not up to date with my smoke signals so I would like to have on hand a few two way radios to keep in touch with my home base, my group or loved ones if I venture out.

But I have no clue as to what kind of two way radios to purchase,
does anyone know what is best?

Taking into account that I live in an urban area, have a decent paycheck but don't want to break the bank on a couple of radios, and that are durable but lightweight. Wanting them to be easily usable for myself and the Mrs.

Any one have any opinions??? Anyone run into this, purchased some for you home for when the SHTF.
I'm BIG on cb radios, because they're ubiquitous, can be easily modded for power and frequencies, and when it all hits the fan, no one will CARE how many watts you're running. Tongue

That said, cheap Ham radios by Baofeng seem to be all the rage among offroaders these days. I'd prefer something multipurpose, bigger, and hardier myself - like a Stryker or Connex. GMRS and some other sorts of short transmit personal radios are also handy to have for "compound comms" and the like.

I'd suggest joining a multi-band forum, and do a little reading (knowledge is still free!), and then some asking about, regarding your situation's specifics. When in doubt, go where the knowledge is!
What would you recommend having on hand currently even though the shit hasn't hit the fan?
Having something handy now will help later...
Once all has failed and society has sorted itself out, I'll have the opportunity (hopefully) to choose from the crème de la crème.
I'd like to be one that has now and can choose from what I want later.

Wise man say Smile LUCK favor's those who come prepared!
Since they've done away with the Morse Code requirement for the Technician's Ham license, I'd probably go THAT way, if I'm starting from scratch. Some cheap portable radios for short range (an HONEST couple of miles!), and a big honkin' Connex for your vehicles. Get's 10 meter (CB) and 11 meter (Ham) in ONE convenient unit! Cool
So what you're saying War Wagon is some good hand held radios are the way to go?
I mean really if the SHTF, and you have to go out I know you can't stay connected forever via radio at a distance but at least you can try to stay connected for as long as you can.

So I'm thinking buy a few of these for local communications...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Talkabo...SwDFNWFC8t

Your opinion of these ?
More like THESE on the hand-held.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baofeng-Blue-UV-...SwgQ9VgjIj

I just used a buddy's on my first 4-wheeling outing a few Saturday's ago - they DO work, and the price is right for stocking up!!! Cool
What's the range on those ?
If we're within the city limits are they gonna be crap due to interference from buildings, elevations... Etc?
(12-20-2015, 09:38 PM)Zombie.Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]What's the range on those ?
If we're within the city limits are they gonna be crap due to interference from buildings, elevations... Etc?

Range is a LEGITIMATE 5-8 miles. I've got some of those radio shack GMRS 'specials,' with "alleged" 20 mile range. They have a HALF-MILE range... at best. Dodgy
So, the radios that say 32 mile range are crap... Best to get some ham radios that operate with tons of stations?
Check out Bao Feng radios. I use them for hunting. In the woods they work great . Since I live in the country IDK what the range would be like in a City setting.

I also have the extended range antennas. IIRC the extra antennas were less than $10 each.
Pages: 1 2 3