Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Gas Masks - Cheap Vs. Break the bank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I'm in the need for some good advice, and helpful hints.

So I'm looking to further my preparedness and have on hand some handy dandy gas masks for myself and my family, Just in case.
It's never a bad idea to be over prepared and well gas masks help even more.

So I shop around and I see there are some quite expensive masks on the market. They range in the ball park of 20 bucks on eBay and lead up to the several hundreds of dollars elsewhere... such as here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATO-40mm-SGE-40...1395164826

so how do you know what is the better deal?
Does you get what you pay for really matter?

I have found several on eBay for around 20 dollars and they are here!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311348261331?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

But then again, there are several out there that are again hundreds of dollars.
If I go cheap, when the SHTF does that mean that I am my family are toast because a cheap mask or will be safe because we have them?

Can the $20 mask save us or don't waste the money buying the cheap POS.

What would you do if you don't have a bunch of money to spend but want to provide for your family the masks they may one day need.
Would you say go for it and see, (buying the cheaper masks) and hoping for the best or go broke buying the expensive masks you may never use.

What do you think, what are you opinions???
Sportsmans Guide always has Russkie surplus & tons o' filters cheap - if you want to stockpile, that might be the direction to go.
I may want to buy one for every member of the family and have a few on hand for friends, but again are they decent and worth the bucks?
They DO work, but again - you'll wanna stockpile the filters especially. They don't last quite as long as NATO stuff.
And lets not forget that the filters are task specific. For example a dust mask will not do anything against an ammonia release.
(05-06-2015, 05:55 AM)Normanvin Wrote: [ -> ]And lets not forget that the filters are task specific. For example a dust mask will not do anything against an ammonia release.

Yep. Radiation neither.

I have some - and didn't get them until AFTER 9/11 - when I saw folks running through all that dust when the WTC's collapsed. Keep 'em in a BoB, so that if when the mohammedans knock over more buildings, I have a good DUST mask handy!

Lotta ASBESTOS was flying around that day - firefighters and police who were there that day, have come down with some serious respiratory problems since.
To adequately protect the user "gas masks" should be fitted to the user. Also, the user should know how to properly don the mask and check for a proper seal. I have a couple of MSA approved masks but it's very hard to use a rifle or shotgun while using it. A single cartridge unit would be better. Especially if the filtration cartridge attaches on the left, for a right handed shooter. If you are claustrophobic you're screwed any way you look at it. If you want to use one try it out. Put it on with a filter attached and exert yourself on a hot day. Just breathing can be a lot of work. On a prior job I was wearing one while doing some environmental work. 94 degrees in the shade and humid. I was taped into a tyvek suit, gloved with knee high rubber boots. Every exhalation blew sweat out the exhaust valve like a shower. .such activity is NOT recommended for heavy smokers.
I believe that a good gas mask will protect you during a dust storm or building collapse like stated above & would be excellent during a fire or downing of a building however during real emergencies such as a nerve agent attack, nuclear fallout or gas attack regardless if you have a mask you can't keep it on forever so you're kinda screwed.

I do like the idea of having one in my BoB for an attack such as 9/11 or the happening movie but other than that they're not too everyday useful, but just like everything else nice to have ready on hand.
Nothing like being over prepared, Because its nice having it and not needing it rather than needing it and not having it.
And if you wear glasses you will need a spectacle kit.
Yeah I'm a eyeglass guy, the good thing is I'm near sighted, Can see really up close but in the distance forgeddaboutit so I luckily am able to forgo the glasses for a while and carry them with me and once the mask is off put them back on.