Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Bugging out Vs. Bugging in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I was reading a few posts about bugging out, and everyone says they're prepared for it, but really how prepared can you be when everything happens and you can't do anything.

Think about this, World War Z happens and the world turns to shit, there's chaos everywhere, the cities are out of power, the streets and highways are littered with traffic jams, phone lines are down, the internet & email is not working and people are just way too wound up.

You have to ask yourself, if you can't get to your "Bug out" spot, and well can't get anywhere in a safe and timely manner,
would bugging out still be the best bet?

When is a good time to abandon the ye old, "Bugging out" point
and hunker down or "Bug In" to your own home, the place where you know most about, where you feel the safest.

Think about this, You know how to secure your own home best,
You know the layout of the neighborhood and enviroment around you,
you know what is where and how to get there, and back.
You know what to do and how to do it.

Think about this, Your bug out spot is miles away from where you are, many miles and something happens thats out of your control, now you're stuck in the middle of the two...
What would you do then?
If you have your family with you or your little loved ones, was bugging out the smartest thing to do, or was it safer back home, where
you can get to the local Giant Eagle on foot, or to the now un-dead neighbors house to get his goods.
You know where the local sporting goods places are and you know where your alive friends are surviving as well.

Bugging out Vs. Bugging in!
Decisions, decisions Cool
I think we HAVE covered this topic before, but, YES - UNLESS you can beat EVERYBODY else out, and your bugout spot IS well-stocked, secure, and isolated... you probably ARE better off bugging in.

ESPECIALLY if you can hold out for a week or more - let all the UN-prepared zombies go out and get themselves perished first... so as to CLEAR the path for the prepared people to escape at their "leisure (a RELATIVE term, to be sure...)." I wouldn't count on surviving in a BIG city for long though, so the fine line between too EARLY and too LATE is one that must be respected indeed.

Better an hour early, than a day late... Confused
I figure if whatever happens, happens...
My family has at the minimum of a weeks supply of food and water, and that's just the dry goods,
if the power and grid holds up with Natural gas we can stay secure for a while.
Plus with the thousands of homes around us, scavenging should be fairly easy.
I will assume to check the homes from the outside before going in too.
I figure, at least every lived in house around me has at least one or two days food for the people that live or lived in it,
once combined the total could be weeks for my family or group.
I have talked about this with a few of the crew, I would have to say the situation for bugout / in, determines what you will need to do. Now the crew also thinks my farm is our gathering spot. Wich is cool, they are like minded and have supplies and a few skills, and I'm of the mind set that in order to survive you will need a community or a team to make it work.
The most important thing when SHTF happens, is the abilty to change and adapt to the situation, even the most best laid out plan can and will go south at any time.
(10-31-2014, 12:59 PM)Zombie.Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Plus with the thousands of homes around us, scavenging should be fairly easy.
I will assume to check the homes from the outside before going in too.
I figure, at least every lived in house around me has at least one or two days food for the people that live or lived in it,
once combined the total could be weeks for my family or group.

Uhhhh... MY house MIGHT be one of those "unassuming thousands," but if it's all going to hell in a handbag, look CLOSELY at the stack of bullet-riddled bodies piled around the windows and doors... If you "assume" too early, and at the WRONG door, you might be DQ'd before the end of the FIRST quarter... [Image: 066.gif]
Very true, You need to know what is behind door number 1 before you enter it...
If there are no bodies outside, and the place is boarded up,
I'm still going to be polite and knock on a window or door and if I don't hear any response I might knock again and announce myself and intentions, if someone answers then I move on, if no one answers I enter VERY cautiously.
Always have your game face on and gut instincts turned up.

As for Killor, I have learned one thing about farms they are always in the middle of somewhere and are a dead giveaway, they typically have no cover, have a tree line that you can't shoot to, and are big enough that you cant completely secure.
A typical "BEST" bugout or bug in building is that, that is made of cement, fortified with a fence, and high-level windows, enough room to roam, but just enough to secure and a great flat roof to grow food.

If I learned one thing from the Walking Dead, the farm was a BAD idea.