Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Navigation without a compass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
And i would be lefted behind lost in the wood.....can someone tell me what type of compass is wortg buying.
Not to be a smart ass, but one that you know how to use (Also, I thought this thread was about navigation without using a compass.....)

I have effectively used a compass that came on the hilt of a knife before, as well as on a watch. You can't go wrong with a good lensatic compass and the prices are quite vast depending on what you want out of it.

As long as you know how to use it and don't try to get a point while it's resting on the barrel of your rifle or something, you should be good to go.
i dont even own a compass. ive used landmarks to navigate. ever since i was a kid ive been able to go somewhere once, and remember how to get back out. and get back there at a later time. sometimes that doesnt work for me, but usually it does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tabUcNGozdA
Here's a good video on the Shadow and stick method
I like the left foot, right foot part of it. I think that should have been his focus.

Just my $.02

Good video though
Nice video, should help a lotta people getting started.
Having that basic knowledge of direction will help orient yourself if lost.
Any compass will point "north" for you, so dont blow a lotta $$ right away.

The next big hurdle is understanding geography... reading a map!
Its how to answer "where am I? & where do I wanna go?"
Forget attempting topography lines on a USGS map in the wilderness-
Start with a basic street map layout at first and orient yourself about town.

Learn major landmarks, associate them with directions: N-E-S-W
The big church to the north, gas station on west, etc...
Practice driving with direction "headed east to get to the highway"
Once you are comfortable with that, then try venturing into a wooded park.
Use a generic map of the park to show the roads and park boundaries.
Things get different when its JUST the compass guiding you out...
Least this way you know you cant get dangerously lost?

Topography takes time- its a map of the elevation of the land (3D references on paper)
With that level of orienteering, you can find natural landmarks in the wilderness.
Start slow and buddy up with someone who knows?
It can be a lotta fun!
What of there is no sun. Well this might help.
Keeping a course by the clouds...
What if it's a cloudy day with no sun visible to get a bearing on, or the bush canopy prevents you getting a clear "shot" at the sun?
Well, if you're lucky, it may be windy with the clouds moving in a constant direction - note the directional flow of the clouds, and adjust your course relevant to their direction.
e.g., If the clouds are moving from your front from right to left over your shoulders, keep them there, at the same time, sight an object straight ahead of you and head for it.
To retrace your steps in the same general direction, just do an about turn, then keep the clouds moving from behind and now left to right over your shoulders, and repeat the process.
Being aware of your surroundings will often pay off, so try to cultivate that habit.
As this may not establish true north or general north this could give you a sense of direction on where you were to get into a familiar area. I have used this before and it does work just like any time your lost it's easy to stray off the straight line you think you are walking. Pick a tree or other land marker straight out from you and walk to it and rinse and repeat this should help you keep a straight line.

(07-01-2013, 10:58 AM)The_Colonel Wrote: [ -> ]I like the left foot, right foot part of it. I think that should have been his focus.

Just my $.02

Good video though

agreed.I wish he would of touched up more on that. It's more straight forward and less messing around with rocks and sticks. Say if you want to go west just straddle you feet over the east rock and face the other rock and off you go west or visa versa.
You can pick up nice, mil-spec lensatic compasses in Army-Navy stores for $30 +/- You can also get some EXPENSIVE ones on-line for $100+.

Any compass that DOESN'T utilize pot metal in its construction Rolleyes , is a GOOD place to start...
I gotta find a new army navy store up this way. the one on main street in butler is gone.
Pages: 1 2