Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: z-max!!!!! zombies beware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
They have Z-max bullets (not cartridges) now too in all varmint calibers.

So if you reload this might be a cheaper alternative for zombie squirrels(or your AR-15 since .223 is a varmint round).

So if you reload this might be a cheaper alternative for zombie squirrels(or your AR-15 since .223 is a varmint round).
(01-03-2012, 12:35 AM)MedGuy Wrote: [ -> ]They have Z-max bullets (not cartridges) now too in all varmint calibers.

The cheaper alternative would be to just use Hornady's V-max varmint bullets, since they are the same exact thing except for the color of the polymer tip, and the price of the marketing gimmick.

I was really hoping more people would have watched that video link I provided, as it is a great review of the Z-max bullet, how it performs, and the fact that it's the same exact round as a V-max.Dodgy
(12-30-2011, 01:22 PM)Avus95 Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go guys. For those of you that are interested. I was mostly correct in my initial assumption that Z-max bullets are just re-packaged standard Hornady rounds. They are actually V-max varmint rounds, not Critical Defense rounds as I had thought.

Enjoy!

That video's just about .223. Know anything about pistol rounds? Last time I checked nobody uses a .40 S&W as a "varmint round" on groundhogs.

Also if I'm not mistaken V-max varmint bullets (not cartridges) come in 100 boxes and Z-max are in 500 boxes. So Z-max might actually be a little cheaper if you reload and insist on polymer tipped stuff.
(01-04-2012, 10:56 PM)MedGuy Wrote: [ -> ]That video's just about .223. Know anything about pistol rounds? Last time I checked nobody uses a .40 S&W as a "varmint round" on groundhogs.

The pistol rounds are just Critical defense rounds as I said, again with a different colored polymer insert in the hollow-point cavity.

It is simply a matter of Hornady taking an existing product that they already have, changing it cosmetically (both the bullet and the packaging) and re-marketing it at a higher price point to try and take advantage of a growing trend.

If you can find a deal and them and they work for you, then by all means, have at it. But I just don't see this as being an economical choice if you do any kind of shooting on a regular basis, especially when you can get the exact same thing for much cheaper in most cases.
[Image: 40sw165zmaxhornadyzombie-0.jpg]
[Image: 40CDFTX.jpg]
I believe the grain weights are different in each category, respectively, between the Z-max and the critical defense rounds, the Z-max being lighter on the grain spectrum.....
I dont plan on stocking up on this ammo. But i did want acouple of boxes just because its fun.
I guess I'll break down and buy a box to sit on the kitchen counter. Good conversation starter....
(01-05-2012, 04:22 AM)FedUpCop Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the grain weights are different in each category, respectively, between the Z-max and the critical defense rounds, the Z-max being lighter on the grain spectrum.....

That makes sense. Lighter weights means higher speeds and flatter trajectories.
In my opinion though, I usually prefer loads on the heavier side, and I think If I were dealing with "walkers" I'd still like a heavier slug. Just my $0.02

Still, I can't argue that they are a great conversation starter, and I sorta do want a box of the .223 just to have it...

I wish they made some Z-max in .22LR! that would be sweetBig Grin
I also prefer heavier weights in my rounds of choice. Someone stated in the other Z-max thread, that hornady purposely made them lower grains for faster follow up shots.....
(01-06-2012, 02:07 AM)skookmspec Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't find it my local gun shop gets it by the case and hasn't run out yett its eds sportshop in Tamaqua pa hope it helps

I've dealt with Ed's at gun shows....great people. BTW...if you are in Tamaqua, isn't that sector 3?....might want to change your sector number.
Pages: 1 2 3 4