Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Ruger 10-22 Review and Range Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In this comprehensive review we take a look at the awesome Ruger 10-22. This is the Carbine model (#1151). The 10-22 has been around for years and is a very popular gun. Virtually any conceivable aftermarket part is available for this gun. Shooting .22 is a great way for new shooters to get accustom to firearms, but its also a cost effective option for those that love shooting and hate breaking the bank. With ammo prices steadily increasing, having a .22 rifle allows for high volume shooting. Its great for plinking, target practice, skill development, training (with the proper set up), and simple fun.

My 10-22 is outfitted with an Archangel 556 stock. I did this so that I could have a firearm similar in design (stockwise) to my AR-15 so that I could train at a less expense than running my AR-15 all the time shooting the more expensive .223/5.56 NATO round. For $20 I can get 50 quality .223 rounds versus about 300 rounds of .22 -- you can see how that would add up to significant savings, especially when shooting semi-automatic firearms. Of course one would still need to train with their AR-15 to increase muscle memory and familiarity with the system, weight, recoil and mechanics, but by having an AR style .22, I can increase the volume and frequency that I train.

There recently have been a lot more AR style .22s on the market, but in my opinion it was smarter to get a 10-22 and swap out the stock. I saved money, and have increased my options for available aftermarket parts as discussed in the video.

The 10-22 from a specs standpoint (#1151 model) has an 18.5" barrel and from the factory weighs about 5lbs. I shot a group of 0.875" at 50 yards with a fixed 4 power scope with a 32mm objective lens, which to me is more than sufficient. As stated there are plenty of aftermarket options available in replacing barrels and trigger assemblies that no doubt could tighten that group up. Ballistics wise, shooting over 100 yards will see significant drop and loss of energy in the .22 round which in my opinion negates the need for an extremely high powered scope, but to each his own.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with my Ruger 10-22 and look forward to years of shooting with it. Someday I hope to pass it along to my children. Keep your eyes peeled for more videos to come with my 10-22... Especially upcoming RunNGuns! As always, Stay Safe!

--NoMoreOp4
nice review man. I'm really pondering buying a 10-22 in a few months.
Great review as usual. You almost made me regret my training AR purchase. Now if only they let us have sim rounds for the 22.
Good work. Thanks for your efforts!