Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Food preservation & preperation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Here's another heat and eat meal. Lentil soup. Actually its curried lentil soup. Recipe is from the bag of lw ntils I bought @ giant.
1cup lentils
3cups broth
2 large onions chopped
1tbsp oil
1clove garlic minced
1tsp curry powder.
Combine & simmer 40 mins.
I can these in pints since no one else here liikes curry. Process 15 mins at 5 lb.
You may have to add some water when you reheat. This tends to get thick in the jar.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
According to live science, pb last about a year before starting to go rancid.
Minimizing the exposure to uv light & oxygen will maximize the shelf life. I have some freeze dried pb in my storage. The "use by" date on the lid indicates a one year shelf life.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I do not know if anyone has posted this but recently I have discovered oven canning dried goods. i.e. flour, dried beans etc... Things you can not obviously can in the oven are sugar, brown sugar or anything that can turn into a syrup or just not work. In any case place dried goods in whatever size jar you want place into preheated oven (200 degrees F) for one hour (this is to kill an bacteria). After one hour remove from oven ( here is where you can reuse already used canning lids) place lids on jars and place bands on tightly. Leave in oven for another half an hour remove and let sit they should all seal. From my understanding your jars of dried goods should be able to sit on the shelf for 30+ years. Also wanted to mention we recently got a grain grinder to grind our own grains. Anyone interested in bulk whole grains and ground grains just inbox me. Keep in mind all this is organic.
Would this work with flour?
(01-12-2014, 09:20 AM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: [ -> ]Would this work with flour?

Yes it will CBS, I know ground flour loses its nutritional value in a about three months ( in this state I am not sure if it will lose it's value) I also do this for my whole flour berries.
Here's another recipe for the gang to try. Yeah, I'm a mick and I'm posting a cabbage recipe on St. Patrick's day. Who would have thought that would happen.
1 head of cabbage. Cored and coarsely chopped.
1 onion. Pealed and coarsely chopped.
2 cups chicken broth. (I use bullion)
Fresh sausage. A pound or two.

Brown the sausage until done enough to cut into chunks. Add the onion and cook until almost done. Start stirring in the cabbage. When you have the cabbage added, pour the broth over top. Cover and simmer until the cabbage is cooked through. Stir often while simmering so it doesn't scorch.
Makes a filling meal when served with a coarse fresh bread.
As with most Irish recipes the ingredient quantities are not hard and fast. No measuring cup needed. Some use bacon in place of the sausage. Some use bacon AND sausage. Ham may work well also.
Feel free to double up the quantity and pressure can your leftovers.
Ok you bunch of potential terrorists, what are you doing about "comfort food" for the zpoc? Me & mine are gonna have some, and treats for the kids. Today we have marshmallows in the dehydrator. Yes, marshmallows. The mini ones. Added to hot chocolate, rehydrated & mixed into candied sweet potatoes or simply a crunchy sweet snack to get the little ones to stfu.
Simply spread them out in a single layer in the dehydrator and let it run till they are stale as a brick. I'm gonna vac pac mine in 1/2 pint jars and add to the stash.
Ressurecting a necro thread. Mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, are everywhere! I picked 4 gallons worth in two trips out. 1 gallon to each daughter in law left me 2 to dehydrate. Yield was 1 gallons tightly packed into pint jars and sealed. What good are dried mushrooms? Glad you asked.
Salisbury steak. Take a pound of ground beef and flatten into the bottom of your dutch oven. Start it browning. While that's sizzling make up 2 cups of beef boullion. Add to that a small hand full of dehydrated mushrooms and approx 2 tablespoons dehydrated onions. Flip your burger and make some gravy out of your bullion mess.our the gravy over the burger, put the lid on and pop it into the oven. Cook low and slow.
Served mine with sides of mashed taters and some steamed Brussels sprouts dressed with butter and a dash of garlic.

Please ignore the spelling, "autocorrect" should be renamed.
In honor of national preparedness month, I decided to try dehydrating eggs. Actually, I got a good deal and bought 3 dozen to come home and find two dozen in the fridge, but anyway.
I broke out the dehydrator and the blender. Cracked a half dozen into the blended and ran it till well blended. Poured them onto the tray and fired it up. 10 hours at 140 had them crispy dry. Did it again until I had 2 dozen dried out, then tossed them back into the blender. Ground them to a very fine powder and sealed them up in a pint jar. Reconstitution is supposed to be 2 parts water, 1 part egg. 1 tablespoon powdered egg is supposed to equal 1 large egg. I'll update with results after I try them out.

Please ignore the spelling, "autocorrect" should be renamed.
(03-18-2014, 06:28 PM)ColdBlueSteel Wrote: [ -> ]Ok you bunch of potential terrorists, what are you doing about "comfort food" for the zpoc?

Twinkies.  Because like Zombies, they NEVER die!   Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11