Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Food preservation & preperation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
HEY CBS, I got some Kohlrabi seeds today, thought it would be interesting to try them. And the seeds were $4.00 for 300 of them.

What did you ever end up doing with yours?

I assume that you found some interesting recipes for them?
(01-03-2013, 07:22 PM)The_Colonel Wrote: [ -> ]HEY CBS, I got some Kohlrabi seeds today, thought it would be interesting to try them. And the seeds were $4.00 for 300 of them.

What did you ever end up doing with yours?

I assume that you found some interesting recipes for them?

I tried them boiled & mashed, with a little butter & garlic (really good!). Sliced & fried and even baked. Still prefer them raw but there's a lot of recipes out there. I gave a lot away. My sister slices them, adds some onion and spaghettie sauce and bakes them. Really good but I'd add some browned ground beef or maybe even some sausage. Pretty much any recipe for turnips will do.
I looked into the nutritional aspect. These things are a powerhouse. When I get on my feet financially, I'm gonna look for some seeds packed for long term storage so I can include them in my "survial seed" collection.
F@@@ing workmans comp insurance owes me over a months pay and they are in no hurry. I've been back to work for almost a month and I'm still waiting on them.
Started my canning season last week ( it truly is never done) with 15 Pints of dill pickles and 55 1/2 pints of of various jams and jellies. My only question is how do you make the pickles crisp without using the ball pickle crisper.
(08-16-2013, 09:11 PM)ElleLosian Wrote: [ -> ]Started my canning season last week ( it truly is never done) with 15 Pints of dill pickles and 55 1/2 pints of of various jams and jellies. My only question is how do you make the pickles crisp without using the ball pickle crisper.

Rumour has it that soaking in lime water overnight works. I've never tried it myself.
Where do you get lime?
food grade lime is available in a lot of grocery stores & wally world. Look in the canning section.
Just canned:
15 pints of green beans
28 pints of tomatoes
2 quarts of tomatoes
3 quarts of tomato juice
5 quarts of hot salsa

Still got lots of tomatoes, beans, corn and other stuff to can.
Here's a recipe for the canning preppers here.
If you like "pigs in a blanket" or cabbage rolls, try this one.

1 large head of cabbage. Chopped.
2 medium onions. Chopped.
a can of crushed tomatoes.
2 garlic cloves. crushed.
1 pound ground beef.

Brown the ground beef well. Add the onion and saute until just done. Next add the tomatoes and cabbage. Cover and simmer until the cabbage is cooked through, stir often to prevent scorching. Add the garlic and stir it in well.
This recipe adapts well. Feel free to substitute sausage for the ground beef, or use some of each. Don't like garlic? Leave it out. Love onions? Use 2 large instead of medium.

Best canned in the pressure canner. 10 lbs 30 mins. Makes a great "heat and eat" meal.
Thanks for the recipe, I will try it. I like canning meals that can just be heated. Did you use quarts or pints? How many did it make?
I did quarts. I doubled the recipe & made 14 qt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11