Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Contact when SHTF and there is no web...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I see various threads about what to do when the SHTF....and I think it is a good idea for each sector to have a rally point. But how do we communicate within each sector (or between sectors) if the web is down? Is HAM a viable option? If the web goes down, it will probably not be long until cell towers/phones are down. We don't want to leave ZRT members behind or out on there own. And we would want to communicate (from one sector to another) about the zed movement.
best bet is cb,gmrs,frs. channel is your sector number but be carefull not to let other listners in on our communications.....possibly a good idea for us to come up with some sort of code that no outsiders would understand.....most people dont know what zeds are, so that is a good start
(10-14-2009, 03:27 PM)mcmcallister Wrote: [ -> ]best bet is cb,gmrs,frs. channel is your sector number but be carefull not to let other listners in on our communications.....possibly a good idea for us to come up with some sort of code that no outsiders would understand.....most people dont know what zeds are, so that is a good start

CB/gmrs/frs is for general/public transmissions. For private transmissions it'll be HAM radio because besides the huge range of frequencies available making it extremely hard to scan its possible to encrypt your transmissions.
nice to know, does radio shack sell them? Can you use them in vehicles or just base stations?
For the record, whichever sector number you are in, is the channel monitored by ZRT in your area (for example, I'm Sector 7, so my CB's have channel 7 highlighted).

Though you bring up an interesting point, which I'd love to know more about; grid going down. In a Zombacolypse scenario, what would have to happen for internet and cell service to be disrupted? I would assume cell towers run off of the main grid, but do they have backup/battery power? Are there any manned positions that need to be attended in order for the system to work, or can it operate all on it's own (at least until something breaks)?

For example, I know modern nuke power plants will run on their own, completely unmanned, for months, if not years.

Anyone in the telecomm industry present to educate us?
I was on the retail side of the cellular stuff - so I couldn't honestly SAY what it would take to shut the towers down. But once the main offices go down in your area, combined with the overload caused by area wide panic. You will most likely get the - cell tower busy - message. Shortly after, with no infrastructure to back them up, and no end to the panic. They will go down.

Expect cell phones to be paper weights INSTANTLY when this goes down. If they last longer than the first few hours of widespread outbreak... any doubts of Jesus being real - and loving you should be removed. And every helpless retard that ends up as zombie food in the middle of a call and doesn't hang up - sucks up just a little more of the available bandwith from the towers. People are going to be calling everyone to see what is going on there, if they are dead or what. It's going to jam shit up something terrible.

Satellite phones will probably work as long as the satellites are in space - and the main switching station has power. But those too are iffy. If the main hand off protocol is embedded into the satellite - you won't need a ground source to remain powered. However, if it has to update or verify your account somehow through an uplink from its home base. You will be effed with these too as soon as power goes out at HQ.

Best bet is probably going to be using a wave/ripple effect. Really good LONG range ham radios, and walkie talkies with wide band capability. Message is broadcast from LR ham - everyone that gets it repeats it. Reaching as many as they can, who then repeat it, and so on and so on. Stretching the message out as far as you can. (the hard way)

Obviously something where CODE would be VERY important. You don't want to say Section 4 link up at "Joe's place on 123 street in whatzitfuck PA" we have food supplies and weapons, can shelter 20 more then we will proceed to link up with larger force at "whozitshit PA" to continue to mass forces. Just over the air.

It could bring on some problems. Armed, raiding... problems.
just incase of EMP attack, is there a way to protect electronics, such as a radio? I have heard of faraday cages, but never tested one. i read the story "lights out" that was linked to another thread not too long ago, BTW kick ass novel for anyone who hasnt had the time to read it. anyway, if there was an emp attack and most electronics went down eccept for those who were prepared and took caution, we could potentially be the only ones with comm gear.....great advantage for us.
asmo is right about code, we need good stuff within our sectors, as well as connecting with other sectors
What about the power plants....non-nuke. When the SHTF, all the workers will bug out and who knows how long any power will be available. If the power plants go down...everything goes down. Generators are going to be the sole source of power for the HAMs and recharging hh radios. I think I need to go get me a genny....
Isnt there hand crank powered hams?
Aren't they insanely expensive??
(10-15-2009, 12:04 PM)YllwFvr Wrote: [ -> ]Isnt there hand crank powered hams?
Aren't they insanely expensive??

I tried google and couldn't find any good links for a hand crank ham radio. I'm sure someone can.... I keep thinking solar power. That would be the best way to go. Solar powered chargers and generators (using large caps).

I guess I need to contact more of my sector 6 brethren to see what equipment would be local to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6