Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Contact when SHTF and there is no web...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
sorry too much bourbon...in an earlier thread there was a link to an online novel titled "lights out", prtty good ideas for the zpaw and a must read. The jist of it is that an emp takes out mostly all of the electronics in the U.S. and sends the country back into the dark ages....riots begin and take out most major cities, a small suburban neighborhood bands together and makes a decent "zpaw base"... dont wanna give too much away, but the story got me thinkin of "what if", and also how surviors would structure a new society.
For communication, I'd really like to get a cb radio in my truck, but that's a low priority right now. I did just pick up a couple Motorola walkie talkies (frs/gmrs) and I'm going to try to get a couple voice operated headsets too.
As far as handhelds go, search the term "eXRS" and check those out, they're $90 or less for the pair of the better ones and about $50 for the more basic ones. Maximum line of site range is 100 miles and they're unscannable.
I'm curious, has a general consesus been reached yet on how ZRT members would reach each other in times of crisis?
from what i understand, find a radio and check channel (sector number) and pray you get a hold of someone from here
Good deal. Thanks for the clarification.
I think a good idea would be for a private forum getting established that only members can get to. Let us see who is in our are by listing say... zip codes. Then, if others are in or near your zip code, actually trade adresses. Like a xmas card address list, but this one os for the SHTF use, not Xmas cards. Then, once you sort of have an idea who will be grouping with you, if anyone..... decide who has the best and most defensable home to meet at. Start there and work out your survival as required be it Zombies or N. Koreans.

Otherwise, the concept of a "PA ZRT" will end when the power goes out. This will be nothing but a memory.

If you really want to have a worst case plan, you need to talk to some other like-minded folks and get a real plan. Or, if thats not your thing.... just post pictures of your guns and keep talking about how prepared you are!
(12-01-2009, 01:29 PM)larry0071 Wrote: [ -> ]I think a good idea would be for a private forum getting established that only members can get to. Let us see who is in our are by listing say... zip codes. Then, if others are in or near your zip code, actually trade adresses. Like a xmas card address list, but this one os for the SHTF use, not Xmas cards. Then, once you sort of have an idea who will be grouping with you, if anyone..... decide who has the best and most defensable home to meet at. Start there and work out your survival as required be it Zombies or N. Koreans.

Otherwise, the concept of a "PA ZRT" will end when the power goes out. This will be nothing but a memory.

If you really want to have a worst case plan, you need to talk to some other like-minded folks and get a real plan. Or, if thats not your thing.... just post pictures of your guns and keep talking about how prepared you are!

Awesome advice. Count me in on the forum/zip code exchange. I think this is an awesome idea.
(12-01-2009, 01:29 PM)larry0071 Wrote: [ -> ]I think a good idea would be for a private forum getting established that only members can get to. Let us see who is in our are by listing say... zip codes. Then, if others are in or near your zip code, actually trade adresses. Like a xmas card address list, but this one os for the SHTF use, not Xmas cards. Then, once you sort of have an idea who will be grouping with you, if anyone..... decide who has the best and most defensable home to meet at. Start there and work out your survival as required be it Zombies or N. Koreans.

so you guys want a private forum so only people who are registered can see?
For the sake of providing some semi private and personal information, yes.

I dont want to tell you all what my zip code is if the entire world can see it and start using it to nail down who I am and where I live. But pull it off the grid, and let us have a place that only the PA ZRT folks can get to, and now I would go there and share some more direct details so that others that may be nearby can see this and contact me about "for real" issues related to the idea that (as far fetched as it may seem) should we need to react to a serious issue, we know where each other is and can form a real life plan to try and get our families together and help each other survive the storm.... or zombies... or N. Koreans.... or whatever. It would be no different than AA meetings, folks helping each other out in a time of need. I'm not talking bullshit dreams of war groups and militia, I'm thinking honest folks trying to get a plan together to help thier families survive natural disaster or whatever may (but likely never) happen here in PA.

I guess it would take creating a new sub forum, restricting it from public, and then going in to the back end and provide access to it person by person. You might want to restrict it to active and participating members only.... I don't know how you would exactly do it. I use phpBB for my forum, this software is something I have no experiance with.

Or, scrap the idea! I dont know. I can not talk for others, so maybe throw up a poll and see what the others feel about it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6