Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Survival / Fallout shelter building advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Due to lack of space in my home I decided to take about 1/4 of my basment and make a gun room/fallout shelter/survial room. The depth is roughley 7 ft. the floor is poured concrete. The foundation walls are cinder block. The final room squared will be about 12 ft by 15 ft. . The ceiling is open joist with insulation. One corner of the room holds the water heater and water softener. This is my access to water from the well.

Fire is a concern as my whole gun collection will be in this one room minus the ones out for self defense.

My buget to close in two walls and ceiling is $800 I hope!
Here are my ideas so far on how to accomplish this project.

1. Cinder block wall's.
Possibly filled with concrete if $ allows. Reinforced with rebar again if $ allows.

2. Concrete backer board on framed walls both sides and on the ceiling. Backer board is a half inch thick.

3. Fire rated dry wall one half inch thick on framed walls and ceiling.

Does any one know of a way to shield from Solar flares? I have one small window to deal with.
The door will most likely be a steel framed steel door.
when complete this will be fully stocked with all of my survival gear, food and water.

I can do most of the work myself without hiring any help. Laying block would require some help.

Any ideas and suggestions to accomplish this would be appreciated!
the only way i know to protect yourself from solar flares is a faraday cage here are instructions http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread375795/pg1
I'd go with cinder block or brick. Start cruising the free section on craigslist, that stuff comes up ALL the time.
(03-02-2011, 03:32 AM)Ratchet Wrote: [ -> ]the only way i know to protect yourself from solar flares is a faraday cage here are instructions http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread375795/pg1

Thanks for the link! Do you know how far solar flare waves penatrates into the ground? Are these flares only dangerous to elcetronics and battery's? what are the affects on the human body?
(03-02-2011, 10:02 AM)AWS2111 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go with cinder block or brick. Start cruising the free section on craigslist, that stuff comes up ALL the time.

That is a great idea thanks!
(03-02-2011, 11:04 AM)opie Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know how far solar flare waves penatrates into the ground? Are these flares only dangerous to elcetronics and battery's? what are the affects on the human body?

Think of them as EM or Radiation Storms. It mostly depends on its strength and how close to earth it gets.
(03-02-2011, 02:46 PM)rthrasher2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2011, 11:04 AM)opie Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know how far solar flare waves penatrates into the ground? Are these flares only dangerous to elcetronics and battery's? what are the affects on the human body?

Think of them as EM or Radiation Storms. It mostly depends on its strength and how close to earth it gets.

Did alot more reading and got all that more confused! I found a story where these kids were on a field trip and some got really bad sun burn while others did not. No explenation could be found so, the theory was that they recieved a direct solar flare burst causing the burn. Also solar flares can cause a light sun burn to death. Although the death part sounds like theory. I also read that solar flares are worse on fair skinned white folk, such as my self being a Red headed ginger with no soul!

So I am just going to make tin foil hats to stop this solar flare activity in my bunker J/K . I may however use foil sided insulation to deflect the sun flares. I Dont think it will matter in the event of nuclear war!

I think as long as you're inside you'll be fine as far as your health goes. Just got to watch out for your electronics, the Faraday cage is a good idea.
It appears that I will be making my bunker out of studed out 2x4 walls with fire rated drywall showing on the outside. Then foil foam sided insulation. The inside will them be done in cement block. The ceiling will be done in fire rated dry wall. The cheapest cinder block found so far was at Lowes for $1.44 each. Due to the cost of cement backer board it had to be removed from the project. Dry wall was the second choice for the ceiling, however the paper coating concerns me do to moisture and a possible mold/ mildue problem! I have a good
Dehumidifier and may run a low watt light bulb to combat moisture.
Use the green paper drywall....it is for bathrooms and such. It has mold prevention chemicals in the paper. I used that for my basement room.
(03-04-2011, 08:55 AM)YukonDon Wrote: [ -> ]Use the green paper drywall....it is for bathrooms and such. It has mold prevention chemicals in the paper. I used that for my basement room.

Ok thanks I was considering buying killz paint to prevent any mold before it starts.
Pages: 1 2 3