Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Customizing Your AR-15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quick video of tips for customizing your AR-15
NoMoreOp4,

Try using a bicycle inner tube instead of the rubberband on the vertical grip to hold the pressure pad for the light. I would upgrade the stock, maybe with something a bit heavier to balance the front heavy piston system in the ruger. Why the Trijicon so far forward? Are you using a nightvision device behind the Trij? The Trij mount leaves a bit to be desired and typically wont return to zero and easily comes loose - look at the larue or gg&g mounts.

Nice video
thanks for the vg tip, ima have to try that... the stock doesnt bother me, nor does the overall weight. I knew what I was getting into with the gun being front heavy due to the piston so that hasnt been an issue. You're the first to comment on the trij placement tho. Its comfortable for me there? but the other reason is because if you look you can see my bs are still on the rail. I keep them incase i were to have the trij fail (fingers crossed that doesnt happen). I also have to refute the statement about the zero and the studyness of the mount, not saying there arent better mounts out there but i've never had any issues

Thanks for watching
NoMoreOp4,

I see the BUIS is on the upper but you might find that the triji moved back right up against the BUIS gives you much quicker target acquisition. You would have to remove the trij to use the BUIS but you would have to do that anyway with how you currently have it mounted. I agree that it would have to be something catastrophic for both the trij scope and the red dot to both go down and necessitate the use of the rear BUIS - but you never know. My trij mount sucked and never returned to zero, it would be 2moa off at best. My Larue and GG&G mounts will hold to within a 1/2 moa which is hard enough to get out an AR with good ammo. If you sling that rifle around on your person long enough, those big knobs on the trig will start to loosen up, that's why I like a solid lever lock up. On the stock, I am not saying that the weight would be the problem (although I always prefer lighter to heavier) what I was getting at was balance. You may find that a better balanced rifle is much quicker to mount and shoot.

just my .02
the trij is as far back as it can be while still allowing the sites to pop up. personal preference.

I will consider changing the mount, it hasn't been an issue yet, but with the warmer weather coming back its gonna see a lot more miles, and this will be the first full spring summer and fall with it getting 3 gun use.... I don't disagree with your comment about weight. If I was super serious about 3 gun and had the money I'd have a lot different set up reducing weight, longer barrel, but I get what you mean.
In your current config, when you pop up your BUIS can you co-witness through your acog? If you can it makes sense but if you pop up your BUIS and cannot co-witness thorugh the acog and see your front sight then move the acog back as far as it will go. The point being that if you have to go to BUIS and you cant co-witness with your current setup - you will have to take the acog off regardless to actually use the BUIS. This all is a moot point if your red dot is up and running if (big if) the acog fails. i cannot get a good co-witness with my BUIS and my acog so I have the acog all the way back. knowing that if I need to go to irons that I have to take off the acog anyway. Still a nice setup even though i am not a big piston ar guy.
short answer: yes i can co-witness
NMO4 try moving your flash light onto the bottom of the rail. When cutting corners your body exposure is the same. When the light it mounted left or right the light must be around the corner to be of use. Causing greater exposure on the side where the light is mounted. Hope that makes sense! Give it a try, it can be easily moved back.
You know I actually had it originally mounted on the bottom. For some reason, I didnt like it so I switched it to the side. I know there was a good reason why I did, just can't think of it right now.
Ideally a light should be mounted at the 12'oclock position as it follows the barrel from room to room regardless of entry side. This can be a problem with a fixed front sight or a flip front sight as you have to move the front sight back (which shortens sight radius) to get a light mounted up top and in front and the light may take up the sight picture of the front sight when flipped. I prefer a surefire x300 for its low profile that allows for a 12'oclock position and some front flip up sights to "see" over it. Most people frown upon a light at the 6'oclock position as as you expose more of your upper body and head to see around corners or cover and utilize the light. Also it is more difficult to rest the weapon on a shooting platform when you have the light mounted under the gun - there isnt as much stability due to the shape of the light. There is also a shadowing effect on a light mounted onto the weapon (the further toward the end of the barrel the less shadow) at all positions other than 12'oclock where you need the most light to illuminate your line of sight. Some compromises are the 1'oclock and 11'oclock positions that some mounts offer.