Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: AR 15 Build.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm planning on Building an AR 15 this winter. I built an m1911a1 from the frame up last year. I've already got a stripped lower receiver. I bought it as I passed through Pittsburgh on my way back from Missouri. The lower was made by Aero Precision. they make lowers for a number of smaller AR companies. I'm planning on buying a Del-Ton M-4 kit to put on top of the lower. I'll also install a piston kit and a free float quad rail. I've never used anything but iron sights in the past but I plan on topping the carbine off with an Eotech hollow sight. I will also install folding/flip up iron sights to co-witness woth the Eotech.

If anyone is interested in the progress reply to the post. I will post picks and any problems here. I can also post the price list once the items start coing in. The build is slated for late November/early December.
Post up pics as the assembly progresses. I started my AR with a S&W M&P 15. It now has an Eotech with BUIS, YHM quad rail, fore grip and a flash light, and a good sling. I also installed the extended bolt latch handle so I can get my fat meat hook on it. I would like to install a recoil reducing buffer, however I havent seen one at a gun show yet. I like to check things out before I buy them. Good luck with the build!
I currently have a Bushmaster. I switched out the regular handguards and put in a drop in quad rail, foregrip with spring-loaded bipod and a "scout" light. It is an A2 style upper though and I want a flat top.
(10-16-2010, 10:45 PM)PRIME_Ω_PREDATOR Wrote: [ -> ]I currently have a Bushmaster. I switched out the regular handguards and put in a drop in quad rail, foregrip with spring-loaded bipod and a "scout" light. It is an A2 style upper though and I want a flat top.

The A2 upper cowitnesses beautifully with an eotech. I had my eotech set for 25 yards with the iron sights at 100 yards. It looked awkward and maybe a little goofy, but looking down the sights there was nothing better.
I just picked up a lower from a friend. He needed cash. I had no intention of building another ar. Not a fan of them.
So now i got an essential arms lower. So i have to build it. We have been doing some distance shooting so this will be my winter project. First step a RRA 2stage lower kit.
I think I am going to build this into a 20 in varmit. thoughts?
(10-17-2010, 06:27 PM)jmiro Wrote: [ -> ]I just picked up a lower from a friend. He needed cash. I had no intention of building another ar. Not a fan of them.
So now i got an essential arms lower. So i have to build it. We have been doing some distance shooting so this will be my winter project. First step a RRA 2stage lower kit.

I've mulled over the thought of building or buying a 20" or 24" AR with some decent glass, bipod, foregrip, ceramic or moly coated barrel, competition trigger and possibly a gas piston setup. If you're going just for headshots 5.56 should be more than effective enough within 500 yards. Quick acquisition, high rate of fire, reasonably accurate, 30 round mags, relatively cheap ammo, it can be used as an assault rifle if need be, and if your crew operates with AR's you can swap mags.

The downside? Cost. It's not going to be as cheap as a standard build, and you could easily run past $1500.

IMHO, it's totally worth the cost. IF you can afford to do it, that is.
(10-17-2010, 06:27 PM)jmiro Wrote: [ -> ]I just picked up a lower from a friend. He needed cash. I had no intention of building another ar. Not a fan of them.
So now i got an essential arms lower. thoughts?

If your not into the AR platform you can sell it t me if the price is right!
I am a fan of them and maybe you can make a small profit......Hit me up with a PM if you want to unload that lowerBig Grin
(10-18-2010, 02:42 AM)nepawolf Wrote: [ -> ]

I've mulled over the thought of building or buying a 20" or 24" AR with some decent glass, bipod, foregrip, ceramic or moly coated barrel, competition trigger and possibly a gas piston setup. If you're going just for headshots 5.56 should be more than effective enough within 500 yards. Quick acquisition, high rate of fire, reasonably accurate, 30 round mags, relatively cheap ammo, it can be used as an assault rifle if need be, and if your crew operates with AR's you can swap mags.

The downside? Cost. It's not going to be as cheap as a standard build, and you could easily run past $1500.

Well got about 250 into a complete lower. built how i want it (two stage trigger). I think an upper from model one (20 inch varmint) is 370. Then a bolt carrier assembly.
so around seven with out glass?

now do I want a 16 or a 20 inch. I am a small guy

(10-18-2010, 03:11 PM)jmiro Wrote: [ -> ]

Well got about 250 into a complete lower. built how i want it (two stage trigger). I think an upper from model one (20 inch varmint) is 370. Then a bolt carrier assembly.

If you're looking for a marksman of varmint gun, go with the 20. You could compromise and use an 18, but the longer the barrel is the better the velocity of the round and the better the accuracy. Remember, it's not just the size of the barrel, it's how it's coated that can make or break it. A nice crown wouldn't hurt either though.
(10-18-2010, 05:16 PM)nepawolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2010, 03:11 PM)jmiro Wrote: [ -> ]

If you're looking for a marksman of varmint gun, go with the 20. You could compromise and use an 18, but the longer the barrel is the better the velocity of the round and the better the accuracy. Remember, it's not just the size of the barrel, it's how it's coated that can make or break it. A nice crown wouldn't hurt either though.
. I got a couple 308s for the long range fun. I am thinking some mid range precision.

Pages: 1 2 3