Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Bug out Bag: Links for the new BoB builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Here are links tuned for the person new to "Bug out Bags"

If you don't know what a bug out bag is, you should. It's basically a 72 hour survival pack for one person (keep that in mind, too many folks try to cram their entire family's needs into a single bag.)

There's lots of published info on the net regarding what many think is the BEST BoB. You need to work out what's best FOR YOU. This means...mocking a bug out. Do this with friends, it can be fun.

At any rate I will edit this post periodically with new and help information and links for those looking for info:

Zombie Squad video on basic BoB Needs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4YC1SxWyY4

Quality in Excess has a great write up on the Bug out bag:
http://www.exxcess.info/bugoutbag2.aspx

Most BoB lists will reccomend some variation of the following list

Wikipedia Wrote:* Enough food and water to last for seventy two hours. This includes:
o 4 litres (1 gallon) of water per person per day, for washing, drinking and cooking.
o spoil-free food.
o water purification supplies.
o cooking supplies.
o cutlery and cups/dishes.
* A first aid kit.
* A disaster plan including location of emergency centers, rallying points, possible evacuation routes etc.
* Professional emergency literature explaining what to do in various types of disaster, studied and understood before the actual disaster but kept for reference.
* Maps and travel information.
* Standard camping equipment, including sanitation supplies.
* Clothes and bedding.
* Enough medicine to last an extended evacuation period if, for example, one's home were destroyed.
* Pet, child and elderly care needs.
* Radio.
* Lighting (battery or crank operated torch/flashlight(s), glow sticks).
* Firearm(s) and appropriate ammunition.
* Crowbar (offensive weapon, building/vehicle entry, etc.)
* Cash and change, as electronic banking transactions may not be available during the initial period following an emergency or evacuation.
(04-07-2010, 11:15 PM)Dublin Wrote: [ -> ]The only other thing that I am noticing here is that no one has said anything about some kind of waterproof bag. While your BoB may be "waterproof," one thing the Army has taught me is that just because it says it is, doesn't mean it is.
A waterproof bag (no matter how large) would be a great addition to a BoB because it will allow you to keep your extra clothes, and anything else you don't want to get wet, from getting wet. These supplies may include:
~Maps that are not laminated (I suggest laminating maps. Makes them more durable & you can use markers on them)
~Items in your personal hygiene kit
~Paper money, ID, etc
Or anything else, as I said, that you wouldn't want to get wet

Began building mine just recently. Waterproof type bags and containers are a must! Granted I will be adding weight but IMO the extra weight is well worth the dry, usable items!
All you have to do for waterproofing is packaging in gallon sized ziplocs. It adds almost no weight, and increases the amount of space by allowing you to squish out the air from clothes. I had put that in a thread for new people. If I find it, I'll post it.
(04-08-2010, 04:03 AM)nepawolf Wrote: [ -> ]All you have to do for waterproofing is packaging in gallon sized ziplocs. It adds almost no weight, and increases the amount of space by allowing you to squish out the air from clothes. I had put that in a thread for new people. If I find it, I'll post it.

Yep - Those as well as EXTREMELY STRONG 55 gal. Trash bags. So far the best I have found are Hefty Contractor Heavy Duty 2 MIL. Clean Up Bags. These can double as rain gear, ground cloths, dry sleeping gear...

Also using Hard Plastic waterproof type containers such as Waterproof Match Cases, Tupperware type containers...

I am trying to make sure EVERYTHING has multiple uses in my BOB! That might me an interesting thread.....Things in our BOB's which serve more than one purpose and the explanationBig Grin
Lots of really good info in this thread!!!!!!

Great job, great info!!!!

Thanks brothers!!!!

Big Grin
My question is.....and this may not apply to you PA folks.....but what if you were pulled over and your car was searched. I know that here in NJ, an officer wouldnt look too lightly on a bag with these kinds of materials.
(04-18-2010, 12:06 AM)vjf915 Wrote: [ -> ]My question is.....and this may not apply to you PA folks.....but what if you were pulled over and your car was searched. I know that here in NJ, an officer wouldnt look too lightly on a bag with these kinds of materials.

I imagine in Philly it might be an issue. However, in most of the rest of Pa, they don't normally care even if you have your backseat covered in guns.
and keep a voice recorder with you..most common phones have them..at least in PA, we have a legal right to voice record any public official..PA is a 2 party consent state, but public officials don't have any assumption of privacy since they hold a public job.
Pages: 1 2 3 4