Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team

Full Version: Bug out suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I feel that central location for sector 3 to bug out to might be in order. Any suggestions?
Big Boulder Jack Frost Mt.
I think Jack Frost may be a little in the opposite direction from where we'd ultimately go towards. More people are likely to chime in and give general areas, though.
I've thought about the Steamtown mall. If you don't have to defend it, the mall could be a great place to start an indoors town. Security reasons, it sucks. There are many entrances that most people don't know are there. Giant glass windows on the entire stretch of Lackawanna Ave. The parking garages can only kind of be blocked off, remember the fence on Lacakawanna Ave on the Boscov's end. Lot's of work to seal it off. It would be easier to secure a Wal-Mart. The mall would be much more comfortable in the long run, but it needs many people to guard it. I've fought with myself about the idea of trying to secure it because I like it's setup (including a second floor only walkway off the food court). Unfortunately, after a thorough scope out, the logistics of trying to secure that mall are obscene. Securing only the second floor is doable, but that makes planning for exits almost impossible. Also, there is no supplies already there, which is always a bonus for a planned location.

To put close to the center of the population of ZRT members in sector 3, I was scanning the Pittston/DuPont (centrally located while not being too heavily populated) area on Google Earth. I know this sounds really cliche, but hear me out. The Wal-Mart in Pittston. Unless someone already has a place that is already stockpiled and easily barricaded, this might be the best option. We would need at least a 30 person crew to fortify this with everybody being able to take breaks. There is a good clear perimeter around the building; the roof can't be accessed from outside of the building (so we could snipe from it); there is only 2 customer entrances (unlike super walmarts); the general walmart construction lacks huge outside view windows; quick access to 81 and the turnpike; and there's already ammo, food, drinks, camping supplies and guns there. The coordinates if you want to look from overhead are: 41°18'19.29"N 75°46'11.62"W. I'll be swinging by it in the next week or so to give a thorough scope out of it's external security issues. I was also looking at the Mountain radio station (there's a few other studios in there too, but I can't remember which), which is located at 41°18'22.62"N 75°45'45.30"W. This has almost no supplies there, but would be easily defended and has a radio tower on site, along with garage bays to up armor while waiting for the rest to meet up for a convoy to another sector or area of our own sector.

By ALL means, I myself am willing to consider anyplace farther west or south (towards 80 for going west), but I think we can all agree that getting as far away from NYC (and any other population centers) as possible the better. There are many, many options, but few good ones.

Personally, I think Google Earth is a great tool for finding bugout locations. It helps put some things into perspective, like how far of a clearing you have around a building, distance to highways, et cetera. I've logged quite a few hours on that thing searching all over for a good place to bugout to.
here's my problem... if we all think going to the walmart is a good idea... what would stop anyone else from heading there too? what happens if by time we get there all the guns & ammo are looted, or someone else thought of it first 'cades us out? we have no idea how non-team members are going to act. what if by time we gather they have locked themself in with the infected? or they won't let us in because they think we have the infected with us? then what happens? dickson city is out because of population control. pittston pretty much too... and they don't have the food supply the super walmart does... but if i'm not mistaken there is a walmart around tunkahnnok(sp?). that is pretty secluded. i'm going to google earth that one and see if it has any geographic advantages over the other two. but, i also need to find out the area population, though i think it is far less than DC or pitt. even then the problems aforementioned may still occur. what's the plan in that event?
oh hell yeah..... the wal-mart in tunkhannock, has two very great advantages... it has perfect river accsess... and... right next to the SKYHAVEN AIRPORT! so, how about that store in the case of an outbreak? the address is 809 SR 29, Tunkhannock, PA 18657. take a look.
I dont know the Pittston wal mart but I do know the one in Tunk. It is right near Zs for plentiful food as well. BUT like ive said before in other threads a wal mart is one of the most dangerous places during a disaster because EVERYONE will be there stocking up on food and water and supplies. I think that securing one would be nearly impossible unless you went in and fired off a few to send people running, which doesnt sound like a good idea. I think even if it was closed someone would probably toss a big rock through the front and loot.
I think a better idea would be to make an individuals home a safe house and have folks come in weighed down with supplies. My own home is massively indefensible. I would be abandoning it ASAP. Its got 5 doors and 9 large ground floor windows as well as easy second floor access from the ground. A little hop will get you to the roof and all the bedroom windows.
Besides any town, even one as small as Tunk would have loads of people out, maybe if in a declared emergency. Most certainly Pittston would be packed. Seems to have a big crowd out for that size town.
we would need a place like a large sporting goods store, there would be alot of survival stuff there like Dicks Sporting goods in Selingsgrove PA... a Dicks or a Walmart store that sells firearms would be a good place to set up a BUG
does anyone in sector 3 have a motor home? we will need a mobile ZRT unit..to hold a few ZRT (not armored) vehicle.. i had a van that seated 7 but i sold it .... if i joined ZRT sooner i would have kept it a real nice one very big..with motor home plates..
(08-13-2009, 10:49 PM)TXDMERC73 Wrote: [ -> ]does anyone in sector 3 have a motor home? we will need a mobile ZRT unit..to hold a few ZRT (not armored) vehicle.. i had a van that seated 7 but i sold it .... if i joined ZRT sooner i would have kept it a real nice one very big..with motor home plates..

Been thinking about it for several months. A tow behind camper might be best for that. My burb seats 7, but a camper or bus would be better.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6